Question on finishing fretboard?

glass

Reaction score
I tried to search this forum for any answers to finishing the fretboard...So whats the best easiest finish? Lemon oil? Tru Oil? A Coconut Oil I have here around the house? It isnt going to be some master uke just a gourdulele I have been trying to construct for a bit any input would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance!

The easiest is not to do anything! :) The best will take several steps. I assume you are asking about a fret board conditioner, not a procedure on how to finish a fret board. I finish off fret boards the same way I do my bridges, with Howard's Wax & Feed followed by a light application of Renaissance wax and buffed on the wheel.

I sometimes like a couple of coats of Waterlox followed with Howard's Feed'n'Wax. Just don't let either product build up, especially right next to the frets.

Same as the other 2 guru's. I use an Australian made furniture paste wax as well on fret boards and bridges. Little heat from your finger as you rub it in turns it into a thick liquid consistency like over soft butter, then burnish up with an old T-Shirt or similar. Clean the edges of frets very well.

I sometimes like a couple of coats of Waterlox followed with Howard's Feed'n'Wax. Just don't let either product build up, especially right next to the frets.

After applying those products, and before final buffing on the wheel, I clean the fret board with one of those little nylon bristle wheels you get with every Dremel you buy and never found a use for. Removes every bit of schmutz next to the frets.

I have always used just a bit of woodwind bore oil on a cloth and rubbed hard into the wood across grain making sure there is no excess and have never had a problem in 30 years. They look great.

thanks to everyone for your help. I am going out to get some of Howards Feed and Wax and some Ren wax or similar product! THanks again your all too kind!

Top Bottom