Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where can I get wound pickup for steel-strung uke?

Default Converting Stagg solid-body electric to steel-strung...

I have a Stagg solid-body that I was thinking of turning into a steel-strung with wound pickups. Where do I start looking for pickups?
    Last edited by Deaks; 10-20-2011 at 09:55 AM.
    UK Club The Ukes of Allonby - Allonby, Cumbria

U30G/BK Mahalo Soprano Acoustic in Black with Aquila Strings
    VUC90EA Vintage Laka Concert Electro/Acoustic with Aquila Strings

Half of a Precision bass pickup is not a bad start.

If you go with half a P Bass then be sure the magnet isn't offset in the pickup because that will leave a string uncovered. Thats a common problem in emandos. I recommend the Almuse pickups that are available through Moongazermusic.com. You really can't get any better for the price. I'd also budget for replacing the pots.

Could anyone suggest some reading material to get me started on undestanding pickup types, placement, preamps, wiring, etc..?

Found this one in about a minute. I know there are more out there, including one that looks like a strat type pickup for mandolin, etc. Lot's of new stuff for 4 string cigar box instruments.

http://www.amazon.com/Cigar-Box-Guit...963069&sr=1-21

Here are some pricier professional grade pickups:

http://sjryder.com/pickups.htm
    Last edited by PhilUSAFRet; 09-13-2011 at 03:23 PM.

Just google 'electric pickups for ukulele'. You will uncover plenty of reading material.

Thanks for the tips guys, my rebuild project is moving along nicely. I've been searching ebay etc.. for pickups, with ease of fitting being an important factor. I'm looking at the following on ebay and would welcome second opinions:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150644675702

I like the fact I can cut a single hole, drop the pickup in and the chrome cover will hold everything in place, cover any rough edges, and look good. All the other bass pickups I've seen would need much more complex hole cutting, and maybe a scratchplate to cover everything up again.

The pole spacing on that bass pickup will be too wide unless you cant the whole thing over at a crazy angle such as on the Risa uke:
    UkeElectricTenor-750.jpg

One of the coils from a P-bass works well, but the pole spacing is slightly too close - you need to have the bridge saddles closer together than is standard on ukes. Look out for one with separate Alnico magnets, I've had the best results from this type in terms of both sound and string balance.

Another option is one of the "rails" style mini-humbuckers, designed to fit in the neck position on a telecaster guitar. Plenty of output, a nice growly sound and no worries about string spacing...

Thanks. Took a look at the string spacing on the stagg and it's 46mm, much wider than the 36mm of my concert accoustic. This will mean that the above pickup will be fine, but the bridge I've ordered won't be. ho-hum.

This is what you want. http://www.guitarfetish.com/Neovin-n...ups_c_142.html They are four wire humbuckers. Use an on/on/on switch to get single coil, humbucker/out of phase. Three distinct tones. My concern is whether your instrument is going to hold up to steel strings, so you might try using flat wound strings. They carry a lot less tension than round wound strings. I find on steel string instruments, that you have to put a little back bow in to the neck so that when you bring the strings to tension you'll have the proper amount of neck relief. The string tension is going to bow the neck. That's why most steel string instruments have truss rods or stiffeners in the neck.

Thread Information