Thread: Ukulele Banjo Prices?

Default Ukulele Banjo Prices?

Why are Ukulele Banjo's so expensive? It's a 4 string instrument the size of a Ukulele which looks like a banjo.

A normal 4/5 string banjo is actually cheaper. I live in the UK and there's a shop I go into in Manchester and their Ukelele Banjo is about 203 while a normal 5 string banjo costs 112

Why is this?

Quote Originally Posted by phil8715 View Post
    Why are Ukulele Banjo's so expensive? It's a 4 string instrument the size of a Ukulele which looks like a banjo.

A normal 4/5 string banjo is actually cheaper. I live in the UK and there's a shop I go into in Manchester and their Ukelele Banjo is about 203 while a normal 5 string banjo costs 112

Why is this?
    Any 5-string in that price range is junk.
    subvert the dominant paradigm

Agreed. I'd expect most banjo ukes to be, on the whole, more expensive than many ukes, purely because of number of parts (I'm not including luthier built ukes in that comparison).

But full size banjos are more common, hence the bulk manufacturers can work with unit costs and offer them cheaper. Earl jam is right though, a full size banjo of that price will be pretty poor. I used to own an entry model Deering Banjo and it cost 600.
    The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

www.gotaukulele.com - uke reviews, songs, tips & tricks for beginners!

Help Support Got A Ukulele!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Fluke, Flea, Kamaka HF-1, Koaloha KTM-00, Tinguitar Reclaimed Mahogany soprano

Check out Gold Tone. Their lower priced Banjo ukes are good quality. I bought my BUC for $314 USD. (229.8480) My CC-OT 5 string was $375 (274.5000). a Starter banjo but good quality.
    http://www.goldtone.com/products/w/c/90/Banjo-Ukuleles
    Last edited by cb56; 09-12-2011 at 02:07 PM.
    Mainland Red Cedar Tenor
    DS Gill Tenor Pineapple spruce/mahogany
    Goldtone Concert Banjo Uke (BUC)
    Blueridge BR-40T Tenor guitar tuned DGBE
    Kala U-Bass
    Gold Tone CC-OT 5 string banjo
    Come visit "CB's Pickin' Place"

agree with all off the comments above. If you want to play a cheap banjo come see mine, my dad got it years ago, and it didn't cost much whatsoever. The neck wobbles and the tuning machines don't turn without pliers for leverage. Going along with bazmaz said, now that banjo ukes are becoming more common again, the price is dropping, the seem to be the uke fad of the year, with lots of companies producing them recently. A big choice is, do i want a full back and resonator or an open back. Open back banjoleles tend to be cheaper. I have a lanikai banjo which runs around $550 USD but i've played the mainland (mainlandukes.com) which is a solid back, without a proper resonator, and they are a steal! it sounds as good as my more expensive one, and costs around $325. Also flea makes one, and the morgan monroe ukes available at mimsukes.com are also in the $300 price range and very nice! I don't think you can get a banjo uke worth having for much less than $300, but you can't get a full banjo worth having for less than $900 in reality

Happy plinkin and plunkin
    Alex
    From smallest to largest. Kala Pocket Mahogany- Ohana SK-21- Kala Travel Uke- Hilo soprano (my first!)- Kamaka 1960's Soprano- Ovation Soprano- Bruko Concert- Mainland Mahogany Concert- Lanikai Banjolele Concert- Lanikai 08E- Mainland Mahogany Tenor- Savannah crappy (but loved) baritone

http://www.youtube.com/user/BornAgainJeeper

Thread Information