Best Solid-Wood Intermediate-Level Ukulele in $150-300 range?

Yeah...coming soon means??? Elderly and every other retailer are at the mercy of the manufacturer. I rather buy from someone who already had one in stock and does setup vs. saving a few $$. Go with HMS

If they are made in the same factory as Mainland and Mike has to discard a portion of his received inventory as substandard. Who makes that decision at Ohana? I'm sure they are a fine company. I know Mainland is.

I'd like to suggest looking at the concert ukuleles from Ohana, if you can wait a while from now. their ukuleles are made in the same factory as Mainland and I was told they check their setups and playability before they ship out to their dealers. I reserved one from elderly instruments and it should be coming in next month.

Kanilea would fall into category 2 in my list with KoAloha and Kamaka. Again that is just my opinion FWIW.

Sorry you're right, I should've gave more detail. My "original" thought of a handmade ukulele was that of a webpage I saw, which was called the Kanile'a Process, in which the entire process of making a uke is done on-site and by the same company who's selling it to retailers.

Here is the link:
http://kanileaukulele.com/kanileaProcess_MillingProcess1.php?osCsid=883eb9b2e3d2a1b7ad55f9685aae9733

Thanks for changing my outlook on ukuleles once again! Still got a lot to learn. I'm assuming the term "solid 'x' wood" is also a marketing blurb like "handcrafted" right? So far, my rule of thumb was less than $150 and below means it has laminate wood which $200 and up was solid wood.

Yeah...coming soon means??? Elderly and every other retailer are at the mercy of the manufacturer. I rather buy from someone who already had one in stock and does setup vs. saving a few $$. Go with HMS

Ideally, that's what I want to do, but their supply is so limited!

I snagged a Pono MCD-E with Ko'olau hard case for $285. I think it has the edge on the Mainlands....as nice as they are.

Top Bottom