Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best Solid-Wood Intermediate-Level Ukulele in $150-300 range?

Yeah...coming soon means??? Elderly and every other retailer are at the mercy of the manufacturer. I rather buy from someone who already had one in stock and does setup vs. saving a few $$. Go with HMS

If they are made in the same factory as Mainland and Mike has to discard a portion of his received inventory as substandard. Who makes that decision at Ohana? I'm sure they are a fine company. I know Mainland is.

Quote Originally Posted by RawrGazzawrs View Post
    I'd like to suggest looking at the concert ukuleles from Ohana, if you can wait a while from now. their ukuleles are made in the same factory as Mainland and I was told they check their setups and playability before they ship out to their dealers. I reserved one from elderly instruments and it should be coming in next month.
    Mainland Mango Concert and Red Cedar Soprano, Kala KA-ASKS Soprano, KoAloha Concert, Boat Paddle Tenor, Moore Bettah Tenor, Boat Paddle Mseries Baritone

Kanilea would fall into category 2 in my list with KoAloha and Kamaka. Again that is just my opinion FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by Choweet View Post
    Sorry you're right, I should've gave more detail. My "original" thought of a handmade ukulele was that of a webpage I saw, which was called the Kanile'a Process, in which the entire process of making a uke is done on-site and by the same company who's selling it to retailers.

Here is the link:
    http://kanileaukulele.com/kanileaPro...55f9685aae9733

Thanks for changing my outlook on ukuleles once again! Still got a lot to learn. I'm assuming the term "solid 'x' wood" is also a marketing blurb like "handcrafted" right? So far, my rule of thumb was less than $150 and below means it has laminate wood which $200 and up was solid wood.
    Mainland Mango Concert and Red Cedar Soprano, Kala KA-ASKS Soprano, KoAloha Concert, Boat Paddle Tenor, Moore Bettah Tenor, Boat Paddle Mseries Baritone

Quote Originally Posted by nongdam View Post
    Yeah...coming soon means??? Elderly and every other retailer are at the mercy of the manufacturer. I rather buy from someone who already had one in stock and does setup vs. saving a few $$. Go with HMS
    Ideally, that's what I want to do, but their supply is so limited!

I snagged a Pono MCD-E with Ko'olau hard case for $285. I think it has the edge on the Mainlands....as nice as they are.
    Soooooo many ukes, sooooooo little time

Soprano: Pre-war Martin "O"; 81-82 Kamaka White Label; Grizzly kit;
    Concert: Pono MCD-E; Kala Reso-burst; Rally banjo; Bruce Wei Acacia teardrop; KPK acacia Cutaway; Mele Solid Mahogany 6 string; Ohana CM35-8 Taropatch; Goldtone Metal Resouke;
    Epiphone LP vintage burst; Asmus solid maple/spruce; Alida Jazz electric
    Tenor: Risa semi-hollowbody electric (red one); Mele Koa; Kala solid mahogany A/E cutaway

Bass: Oscar Schmidt Curley Maple;

Damn, nice price! Used or new?

Quote Originally Posted by PhilUSAFRet View Post
    I snagged a Pono MCD-E with Ko'olau hard case for $285. I think it has the edge on the Mainlands....as nice as they are.

Thread Information