Thread: Taropatch strings.

Default Taropatch strings.

Hi everybody! I'm new around here. As someone who is a regular guitar (and lately uke) builder, I am currently contemplating building an 8-string taropatch. I have 2 questions. Firstly, are there a number of paired-string possibilities? (eg high/low, unison/octave etc)Secondly, where does one source taropatch string sets - or is it mix and match?
    Best wishes, Leon

Aquila do a huge number of string gauges. You can have any combination you want.
    Learn the relationship between string gauge, string length and string tension.
    This string calculator is very useful:

http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/wikla/mu.../wwwscalc.html

Aquila Nylgut is given as being the equivalent density of real Gut.
    Don't forget to dial in the correct note in the correct octave, otherwise you will get some very questionable results!
    Assuming that you know the string length, the decision has to be made as to what tension you wish to play at. That is obviously limited - partly by the actual construction of the Uke and by the feel of the strings to the player. The 4 string Tenor is at around 4 to 4.5 Kg per string.
    Doubled strings effectively double the tension placed on the instrument.

The typical arrangement is for 4 courses of paired strings - the 1st 2 courses in unison, the 3rd and 4th courses in octaves.

We'll be releasing sets next week - info here:

http://www.southcoastukes.com/stringuide_files/68.htm
    Dirk Wormhoudt

email: sales@southcoastukes.com

Thankyou friends. I'll doubtless be placing an order to South Coast Ukes.

Best wishes, Leon

wondered if anyone had a suggestion as to where I might get an octave would E for the 8 strings. Just think that would make it sing so much better rather than them being in unison
    Kanilea K3 Super Tenor
    Samich UK70Baritone
    Kala Archtop Tenor
    Eleuke T1000
    Lanka Koa Tenor
    Mahalo tenor (for sentimental reasons:-)

Here is a link to my duo 'the big i am' http://www.reverbnation.com/rash

Hello Folks- People nowadays use the word taropatch to describe any 8 string ukulele. But, to be picky, a taropatch is traditionally a smaller (soprano or concert) uke strung with 4 courses, 8 strings and the pairs are unision. Lately, 8 string tenors are far more popular, which have many possible combinations of octave doublings.

Cheers
    Aaron

I wonder why nowadays uke manufacturers only produce 8-strings in tenor size and not smaller sizes like concerts and sopranos. Is it because the bracing and the soundboards on the ukes need to be stronger or thicker to balance the additional string tension, hence tenor is deemed a more suitable size for 8-strings? It's sad that concert and soprano players have to go the custom route to get an 8-string.

Quote Originally Posted by equina View Post
    It's sad that concert and soprano players have to go the custom route to get an 8-string.
    As Aaron says, they are simply four unison courses, so two standard sets are all that is required.

Mine had all strings in unison, for a nice reverby sound.
    I think Martin's first concert uke was actually a Taropatch with 4 strings left off, so the "concert" uke was born.
    There is no reason a Taropatch could not be soprano scale.

I doubt the 8 string tension has much to do with any aspect of construction. Frankly, on ukes, there isn't that much tension to matter. And yes, I know some builders load the neck with carbon fiber or install adjustable truss rods...
    Have Courage!
    Guitar & ukulele building, repairs also, 38 yrs. in business.
    http://davidnewtonguitars.squarespace.com/repairs/

I've been trying to convince Ohana to build a taropatch based on the ck35, but they came out with a tenor 8 string and a tiple. I would have thought a concert size taropatch would outsell them both, but what do I know.

Thread Information