Battery powered ukulele amplification...

Are those Beringer DI boxes I see? My next purchase for use while playing at church will be a DI/EQ box of some sort. I'd love to get an LR Baggs Session or Venue, but they are pricey. The LR Baggs Align series is less expensive. I need is something with a mute foot switch because we are up & down all throughout the church service, and I need to mute when I get my uke on & off my stand. I saw the Zoom AC-2 on Amazon. A little less $$$ than LR Baggs, but it has the EQ, Tuner, Mute, Boost, and Reverb. The Beringer is way less expensive, but I don't know if that foot button is a Mute, or if it's a decent enough DI/EQ box for my needs.

Are those Beringer DI boxes I see? My next purchase for use while playing at church will be a DI/EQ box of some sort. I'd love to get an LR Baggs Session or Venue, but they are pricey. The LR Baggs Align series is less expensive. I need is something with a mute foot switch because we are up & down all throughout the church service, and I need to mute when I get my uke on & off my stand. I saw the Zoom AC-2 on Amazon. A little less $$$ than LR Baggs, but it has the EQ, Tuner, Mute, Boost, and Reverb. The Beringer is way less expensive, but I don't know if that foot button is a Mute, or if it's a decent enough DI/EQ box for my needs.

I have the Beringer DI box in the pictures, the foot switch you see is not a mute button. It is a by pass, your signal is still boosted but no longer EQed. These Beringer are great espiecally for the low cost, buy one and a guitar cable with an (kill switch) on/off button at the jack end. Planet Waves makes one that sells for around $50.00 add the Beringer AD121 for $30.00 and it is a lot less then the Zoom AC-2 for $200.00

Last edited:
I have the Beringer DI box in the pictures, the foot switch you see is not a mute button. It is a by pass, your signal is still boosted but no longer EQed. These Beringer are great espiecally for the low cost, buy one and a guitar cable with an (kill switch) on/off button at the jack end. Planet Waves makes one that sells for around $50.00 add the Beringer AD121 for $30.00 and it is a lot less then the Zoom AC-2 for $200.00
I already have a Boss tuner pedal that acts as my mute, so I could add the Berlinger DI box & save a bunch of money. I guess if I’m just dipping my toe into the world of electronic enhancement, I should start simple.

It's possible I'm doing something wrong I guess, but my experience of the Behringer ADI21 is it sounds clipped. I guess my Shadow undersaddle passive pickup drives it too hard or something. It helps to turn down the blend (the amount that emulation is included in the mix), and to use the balanced XLR output but even so I haven't been able to get a reasonable sound out of it. I've since started using an iRig Acoustic Stage (using only the aux input, not the mic) instead with no problems yet. Of course there's no mute on that or the ADI21, but a tuning pedal would sort that.

The blend control adds the warmth of a simulated tube preamp microphone to the sound, which is desired by most performers to get the stringed instrument above the rest of the mix. I own and use an LR Baggs Para Acoustic DI, 2 Behringer ADI 21's, 1 Behringer GDI21, 1 Behringer BDI21 and dozens of Carvin https://carvinaudio.com/products/fdr60

Thanks. I'll try my ADI21 with a different pickup sometime. Unfortunately both of my passive pickups are the same brand and type.

I am really happy with my LR Baggs ParaAcoustic DI. I picked it up used at a music store for $75. It is one of my best music related deals.

Osprey, my LR Baggs Para Acoustic active preamp DI is my go to DI box. I know how to use it like the back of my hand. That being said, the tube microphone emulation using the Blend control really punches the projection of the acoustic electric instrument to the top of a loud stage mix of a typical band. At a mere $30 bucks, the Behringer ADI21 is a great backup for your LR Baggs Para Acoustic DI to keep in your musical toolbox.

It's possible I'm doing something wrong I guess, but my experience of the Behringer ADI21 is it sounds clipped. I guess my Shadow undersaddle passive pickup drives it too hard or something. It helps to turn down the blend (the amount that emulation is included in the mix), and to use the balanced XLR output but even so I haven't been able to get a reasonable sound out of it. I've since started using an iRig Acoustic Stage (using only the aux input, not the mic) instead with no problems yet. Of course there's no mute on that or the ADI21, but a tuning pedal would sort that.

Ya know, I don't really like the ADI21 with my Risa Stick, either, which also has a Shadow pickup...

aremick, my ADI21's really bring the sound of my Traveler Guitar Ultra Light Acoustic Electric's Shadow pickup up front with punch through the mix, with a loud band.

https://travelerguitar.com/products/ultra-light-acoustic-maple

nWBvJYK.jpg

I picked up this USB powered mixer on wish dot com, that arrived yesterday. With a USB Power Bank Battery, this mixer is usable off the grid, without AC power. Channels 1 and 2 can be assigned +48V phantom power, affording condenser microphones and my LR Baggs Para Acoustic DI box with active preamplifier to be directly powered from from the mixer. The USB/AUX/BlueTooth 3RD Stereo Channel has it's own independent bass and treble tone controls, allowing equalization on the BlueTooth Channel, which has been a highly requested feature for the Bose S1 Pro battery powered PA System. This mixer can also be assigned to be used as a recording studio mixer to input a PC/laptop. This mixer will also accept the USB audio output from a laptop or computer. I have been experimenting using the 1/8” headphone output of this mixer into the Channel 3 1/8” input of my Bose S1 Pro with outstanding results! I've included the owners manual here, so y'all can determine if this can remedy y'all dilemmas. The photo of this mixer with my Behringer 1002B battery powered mixer will show y'all it's compact footprint. This mixer handily fits in the top storage compartment of my Bose S1 Pro backpack, leaving plenty of room for cables, microphones, DI boxes and accessories.

FUiDyVx.jpg

PTXeWNR.jpg

BvsvYgM.jpg

0Dy2H1b.jpg

Last edited:
I've owned this USB powered mixer for several weeks now, that I ordered on Wish Dot Com. It said 6 weeks before delivery, but arrived less than two weeks after I ordered it. It has true, switchable +48V Phantom Power for condenser microphones on channel 1 and channel 2. Channel 1 & channel 2 are both combination 1/4" phone jacks/XLR balanced jacks. Channel 3 has a built-in assignable BlueTooth receiver. Channel 3 can also receive it's USB MP3 input from a laptop computer, stereo 1/4" phone jack inputs and stereo RCA jack inputs and outputs. All 3 channels have gain, treble, bass, effects and volume controls with red LED's that flash when the signal peaks. There are delay and repeat knobs for the built in high quality digital delay effect, that is mild and sounds more like a quality reverb. There are 2 sets of yellow and red LED's above the 1/8" headphone jack that indicate distortion of the main outputs of the mixer. This mixer will output stereo through the main 1/4" phone jacks, stereo through the stereo 1/8" headphone jack and stereo MP3 through the switchable MicroUSB jack on the back of the mixer, affording this mixer the capability of being used as a high quality recording mixer through recording software on a desktop or laptop computer. This mixer can also record to USB storage. I used a 16A USB Power Bank to power this mixer into a set of earbuds using the mixer's BlueTooth receiver 3rd channel feature at occasionally peak flashing channel and main LED's overnight in our hallway closet and the USB Power Bank Battery still had over 75% available power, as indicated by the LED's on the USB Power Bank. The bass and treble controls on the 3rd BlueTooth channel of this mixer truly address the port noise concerns of DJ's, when using BlueTooth with the Bose S1 Pro. I attempted to post a video on YouTube this weekend, but an arthritis flareup in my left fingering hand botched that from working out on an acoustic electric guitar 12 bar blues shuffle. Most of what I perform now is on an 'ukulele, as a result of this arthritis.

FUiDyVx.jpg

PTXeWNR.jpg

BvsvYgM.jpg

0Dy2H1b.jpg

Last edited:
I just bought a 6 channel mixer with 6 XLR inputs or 6 1/4" balanced inputs for $75. I was using a Behringer X-Air 12 WiFi mixer with 4 XLR combo inputs and 8 1/4, 2 are Hi Z, but the WiFi kept getting interference, so I decided to go with a no WiFi. It's only 13.5" x 13.5" x 2" compact.

Mixer 6 channel XLR.jpg

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Ric you sold me. I decided to buy one too. I need the battery powered phantom power

Last edited:
Dan, I'm really enjoying the features and versatility of this mixer that I always power with a USB Power Bank. The true +48V phantom power is an exclusive feature I've yet to see on any other battery powered mixer. My Behringer Xenix 1002B battery powered mixer has phantom power, but it's +23 V, which will power most condenser microphones, but not all.

That looks like a nice mixer, Kohan Mike. Can it be operated on battery power?

I just bought a 6 channel mixer with 6 XLR inputs or 6 1/4" balanced inputs for $75. I was using a Behringer X-Air 12 WiFi mixer with 4 XLR combo inputs and 8 1/4, 2 are Hi Z, but the WiFi kept getting interference, so I decided to go with a no WiFi. It's only 13.5" x 13.5" x 2" compact.

Mixer 6 channel XLR.jpg

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Top Bottom