Page 37 of 39 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 LastLast

Thread: Battery powered ukulele amplification...

Are those Beringer DI boxes I see? My next purchase for use while playing at church will be a DI/EQ box of some sort. I'd love to get an LR Baggs Session or Venue, but they are pricey. The LR Baggs Align series is less expensive. I need is something with a mute foot switch because we are up & down all throughout the church service, and I need to mute when I get my uke on & off my stand. I saw the Zoom AC-2 on Amazon. A little less $$$ than LR Baggs, but it has the EQ, Tuner, Mute, Boost, and Reverb. The Beringer is way less expensive, but I don't know if that foot button is a Mute, or if it's a decent enough DI/EQ box for my needs.
    My ukulele family.....
    KoAloha Koa concert - circa 2006
    aNueNue Moon Bird concert - Spruce & Rosewood - 2018
    Blackbird Clara - 2019
    Cocobolo concert - 2019

Quote Originally Posted by RafterGirl View Post
    Are those Beringer DI boxes I see? My next purchase for use while playing at church will be a DI/EQ box of some sort. I'd love to get an LR Baggs Session or Venue, but they are pricey. The LR Baggs Align series is less expensive. I need is something with a mute foot switch because we are up & down all throughout the church service, and I need to mute when I get my uke on & off my stand. I saw the Zoom AC-2 on Amazon. A little less $$$ than LR Baggs, but it has the EQ, Tuner, Mute, Boost, and Reverb. The Beringer is way less expensive, but I don't know if that foot button is a Mute, or if it's a decent enough DI/EQ box for my needs.
    I have the Beringer DI box in the pictures, the foot switch you see is not a mute button. It is a by pass, your signal is still boosted but no longer EQed. These Beringer are great espiecally for the low cost, buy one and a guitar cable with an (kill switch) on/off button at the jack end. Planet Waves makes one that sells for around $50.00 add the Beringer AD121 for $30.00 and it is a lot less then the Zoom AC-2 for $200.00
    Last edited by DownUpDave; 05-19-2019 at 07:02 AM.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Enya Nova *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    I have the Beringer DI box in the pictures, the foot switch you see is not a mute button. It is a by pass, your signal is still boosted but no longer EQed. These Beringer are great espiecally for the low cost, buy one and a guitar cable with an (kill switch) on/off button at the jack end. Planet Waves makes one that sells for around $50.00 add the Beringer AD121 for $30.00 and it is a lot less then the Zoom AC-2 for $200.00
    I already have a Boss tuner pedal that acts as my mute, so I could add the Berlinger DI box & save a bunch of money. I guess if I’m just dipping my toe into the world of electronic enhancement, I should start simple.
    My ukulele family.....
    KoAloha Koa concert - circa 2006
    aNueNue Moon Bird concert - Spruce & Rosewood - 2018
    Blackbird Clara - 2019
    Cocobolo concert - 2019

It's possible I'm doing something wrong I guess, but my experience of the Behringer ADI21 is it sounds clipped. I guess my Shadow undersaddle passive pickup drives it too hard or something. It helps to turn down the blend (the amount that emulation is included in the mix), and to use the balanced XLR output but even so I haven't been able to get a reasonable sound out of it. I've since started using an iRig Acoustic Stage (using only the aux input, not the mic) instead with no problems yet. Of course there's no mute on that or the ADI21, but a tuning pedal would sort that.

Vista (North County San Diego), California

The blend control adds the warmth of a simulated tube preamp microphone to the sound, which is desired by most performers to get the stringed instrument above the rest of the mix. I own and use an LR Baggs Para Acoustic DI, 2 Behringer ADI 21's, 1 Behringer GDI21, 1 Behringer BDI21 and dozens of Carvin https://carvinaudio.com/products/fdr60

Thanks. I'll try my ADI21 with a different pickup sometime. Unfortunately both of my passive pickups are the same brand and type.

I am really happy with my LR Baggs ParaAcoustic DI. I picked it up used at a music store for $75. It is one of my best music related deals.

Osprey, my LR Baggs Para Acoustic active preamp DI is my go to DI box. I know how to use it like the back of my hand. That being said, the tube microphone emulation using the Blend control really punches the projection of the acoustic electric instrument to the top of a loud stage mix of a typical band. At a mere $30 bucks, the Behringer ADI21 is a great backup for your LR Baggs Para Acoustic DI to keep in your musical toolbox.

Quote Originally Posted by jimavery View Post
    It's possible I'm doing something wrong I guess, but my experience of the Behringer ADI21 is it sounds clipped. I guess my Shadow undersaddle passive pickup drives it too hard or something. It helps to turn down the blend (the amount that emulation is included in the mix), and to use the balanced XLR output but even so I haven't been able to get a reasonable sound out of it. I've since started using an iRig Acoustic Stage (using only the aux input, not the mic) instead with no problems yet. Of course there's no mute on that or the ADI21, but a tuning pedal would sort that.
    Ya know, I don't really like the ADI21 with my Risa Stick, either, which also has a Shadow pickup...

aremick, my ADI21's really bring the sound of my Traveler Guitar Ultra Light Acoustic Electric's Shadow pickup up front with punch through the mix, with a loud band.

https://travelerguitar.com/products/...acoustic-maple

Thread Information