Battery powered ukulele amplification...

There is also a Crate "Limo" which is 50W battery-operated, and is shaped like a floor monitor (and big enough to double as one).

We've used the Crate Taxi TX15 as a vocal monitor, with great success. It has high acoustical output and very clean amplification. I don't use any vocal monitors when using the MXL990 large diaphram condensor microphone. It has a very wide pattern and will feedback when a vocal monitor's turned up loud enough to hear. Ric

Update: I stopped using the AA NiMH batteries in the C-cell adaptors and now use only C-cell alkaline batteries in the Vox DA5's. I always brough extra sets of the AA NiMH batteries, but they have to be changed in the middle of an outdoor gig. In live outdoor performances I was getting less than 2 hours play time out of the AA's. I think part of that's due to wind and ambient noise constantly going through the microphone along with the louder required volumes when playing outdoors. C-cell alkalines play straight through a six hour gig outdoors without failure. Ric

Well, I picked up a VOX DA5 from my friend on the cheap. For pretty good reason. It was filled with sand, and there was quite a bit of tarnish on the grille due to sea salt and what not. But It is a great amp after I cleaned it out, and it works good as new.

I need to scrounge up 6 C cell adaptors so I can use my AA rechargable batteries...I know I have some lying around somewhere.

I've abused my Vox DA5's weekly and many times several times a week for the past 6 months without failure. I took one with me on a trip to the Philippines and even played through it and sang through it on a boat in the China Sea off 100 islands. All of my Vox DA5's and Roland Microcube RX and Roland Microcube RX Bass amps have a lot of hours playing on the beaches of the pacific ocean on California's coast. Ric

I need to scrounge up 6 C cell adaptors so I can use my AA rechargable batteries...I know I have some lying around somewhere.

You can order them from Sears and other places:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...ories&psid=YAHOOSHOP01&sid=IDx20070921x00003b

http://www.zbattery.com/Lenmar-C-Cell-Adapter-for-AA-Batteries-4-Pack?leadsource=37

http://store.sundancesolar.com/baadaatoc2pa.html

After using the rechargeables outdoors live and loud, I've found that you need to replace them with a fresh set every couple of hours for the best performance.. No big deal, as they're cheap to recharge instead of constantly buying new alkaline C-cells. Ric

Guitar Center's having a closeout sale on the Crate Profiler Series Model 5.
I bought two of these on Tuesday for only $49 bucks each:

Ukulele562.jpg

I like these better than the Roland Microcubes. Here are some features:

5 watts RMS
2 X 4"speakers
11 digitally controlled analog classic amp profiles
Tone control
Stereo Digital Sound Processing Effects, including Delay, Modulation Effects,
__and Reverb selections
1/8" stereo audio input for devices like MP3 players/CD players
Headphone output
USB port
Included AC adaptor or battery (6 X AA) powered
Traktion software application included for recording on your computer.

Ukulele563.jpg

Ukulele564.jpg

Ukulele565.jpg

It takes a while to learn how to use these amps. They save everything you set
in any previous operation. To change these settings, you have to power on,
change the knob settings, power off and power on again. It's frustrating until
you learn this sequence, as many unwanted sounds will occur otherwise.
There's nothing wrong with these amps, that's the way they are supposed to
function. My guess is that the closeout is due to users not being able to
figure out how to use them. Being that I've never recorded any of my music in
the past, this new firmware/software gives me an opportunity to delve into
that area.

The twin speakers boost the low end of this amp over that of the Roland
Microcube. Physically, it's slightly smaller than the Roland Microcube. At 5
watts, it has twice the power of the Roland Microcube. The USB output and
recording software are an added plus, too. I place it in between the Roland
Microcube/Line6 Micro and the Vox DA5. At only $49 bucks, it's a no-
brainer. Ric

I just bought a NIB Danelectro Honeytone amp on eBay for $24.95, they look retro cool, may order the AC adapter if battery life sux. Looking forward to farting around with it hooked to my new Waverly Street Pineapple. :)
5dae_1.JPG

Last edited:
Finally got my Danelectro amp in the mail today and I must say I'm impressed, allot more than I expected cranks pretty loud and clear out of the small speaker, more enough for my puposes. Mahalo ricdoug for your review which helped me make my choice. ;)

i pretty settled on getting the Crate Taxi 15 Watt unless anyone has a suggestion for a better 15 watt rechargeable battery powered amp

You might want to consider the Traynor TVM10. It's the same as the Taxi TX15,

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/...6-Battery-Powered-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481167

but it is stand mountable and more portable. The Traynor and Taxi have the same power amp.

491034.jpg

491035.jpg

491033.jpg

The Traynor TVM10 battery powered amplifier is designed for the musician on the move. Perfect for rehearsal or street corner concert, the TVM10's two-channel 15-watt design allows quick connection to any microphone, instrument or CD / MP3 player. Individual volume control on the input channels and four-band master EQ makes the TVM10 amp a complete and ultra-compact PA system solution.

XLR / TRS combi-jack input on channel one allows quick connection to any microphone source. A 1/4-inch input on channel 2 is ideal for any musical instrument including acoustic or electric guitars and keyboards. An additional RCA auxiliary Input allows quick connection CD or MP3 players.

The TVM10's wedge monitor shape projects to an intimate audience from ground level, or be used with its integrated stand adaptor on any speaker stand when used as a small announcement PA or background music source.

The Traynor name has long been associated with affordable, great sounding amplifiers. Since the early 1960's, Traynor amplifiers have earned a reputation as cost-effective, highly reliable workhorses'. Yorkville Sound is proud to continue this tradition. These open-backed amps are manufactured in the far east under the supervision of Yorkville's design and manufacturing team and are perfect for aspiring guitar and bass players in need of a compact and durable, yet inexpensive rig.

All of the speaker cabinets include metal corners, non-skid rubber feet, a power indicator LED, a three band EQ and vintage style rotary control knobs, a cloth grille and a distinctive grille-mounted chrome look Traynor logo.

All Traynor International Series amplifiers come with a comprehensive two year, no hassle warranty*. When you're ready to rock, grab your mate'!

* Warranty valid in Canada & United States only.

Traynor International TVM10 15W 1x6 Battery Powered Guitar Combo Amp Specifications:

Type: Battery Powered Micro PA Combo
Cabinet Program Power (Watts): 15
Speaker Configuration - LF (Size / Power): 6-inch
Speaker Configuration - HF (Size / Power): Tweeter
Channel 1 - inputs: Combi (1/4-inch + XLR female)
Channel 1 - controls: Channel Volume
Channel 2 - inputs: 1/4-inch
Channel 2 - controls: Channel Volume
Channel 3 - inputs: 2 x RCA
Main Tone Controls: Bass, Low-Mid, Hi-Mid, Treble
LED Indicators: Power
Headphone Jack: Yes - 1 x 1/4-inch
Other Features: Rechargable battery (usage with full charge, 10-hours)
Dimensions (DWH, inches): 10.25 x 13.75 x 11.75
Dimensions (DWH, cm): 26 x 34.5 x 30
Weight (lbs / kg): 25 / 11.32
Traynor International TVM10 15W 1x6 Battery Powered Guitar Combo Amp Features:

Channel One - XLR / 1/4-inch TRS Combi-jack Microphone Input with Volume Control for quick connection to any line or microphone source.
Channel Two - 1/4-inch Line Input with Volume Control, ideal for any instrument including acoustic or electric guitars and keyboards. Additional RCA Auxiliary Line Input for quick connection of any CD or MP3 player.
Master 4-Band Equalizer
Built-In Rechargeable Battery Pack Power Source - The TVM10 can run anywhere no cumbersome AC power source required.
Unique wedge cabinet shape projects to an intimate audience from ground level, or allows the TVM10 to act as a wedge monitor for rehearsals.
Integrated Speaker Stand Adaptor - Allows quick solid connection to any standard speaker stand when TVM10 is used as a small announcement PA or background music playback system.

Last edited:
At the Earth Day concert in Oceanside, California on Sunday April 26, 2009, I used two Vox DA5's running on battery from 10 A.M. until 2:00 P.M. when we played our concert. Both amps ran loud and clean for four hours of pretty consitent use. We sang and danced at our booth for hours befor we went on stage. Passers by were amazed that we were not hooked into AC power when asking where the sound was coming from (Very well hidden in our "Tiki Hut"). If you look to the top right of me, you'll see one hanging from the frame. I hung each one from the frame using two bungie cords attached to the amp strap handles. If you look closely at the front right and left of the "Tiki Hut", you'll see the microphone stands. Also, there was a microphone and an instrument cable attached to each DA5. Very versatile and time proven for busking/performing. Ric

Ukulele582.JPG

Ukulele596.jpg

Ukulele580.JPG

Really nice Ricdoug. I have a Vox DA5 and I love it. And the portability is terrific. I really thank you for pointing me in that direction.

I'd like to put in a good word for the Roland Mobile Cube. Smaller than the Micro Cube, it's way versatile and very portable. The accoustic guitar setting really keeps your uke sounding clear and true. There are inputs for a mic and aux input and a cancel center channel button that when pressed diminishes the vocals of a recording, making it the perfect PA for some kareoke. It's not pro level, but it's pretty loud and proud and great fun.:shaka:

For those of you using these small amps on your ukes - how do you deal with feedback. I have a Vox DA5 and just got a new uke with a pickup - and the feedback seems to be a big problem.

This amp works great with an electric guitar - and even with my acoustic guitar can be played pretty loudly with some gain - but it feeds back like crazy with the uke, even at clean settings and pretty low volume.

I am just a beginner and have no real need for this other than to play around with it - hoped to use a few effects for fun.

Any tips?

Make sure the uke isn't facing the amp. Just pointing it away from the amp will make a world of difference. :D

Yeah, I've noticed this helps. Also, I am in a relatively small room and suspect that sound is bouncing around quite a bit which can't be good. I'll take it outside and check it out.

I am also interested in favorite settings, do's & don'ts or other tricks from those that use these on a regular basis. Hoping it might save a lot of trial and error frustration - although I'll probably have to experience that myself anyway! :D

Saturday was a busy day for the Ukulele Society of America.
We had two gigs lined up. The celebration of the 50th
anniversary of the McClellan Carlsbad Airport and a luau at
Deb and Gary’s. We played a 1 hour set at the airport to a very
large audience. Our stage was a patio area next to a incomplete
restaurant. To run power there would have required a couple
hundred feet of AC extension cords that would have crossed a
lot of foot traffic. No problem, as we used a Carvin S400D
P.A. system running on batteries. We also used three Senheizer
cardiod microphones. These have a wider pickup pattern than
super cardiod microphones, such as Shure SM58’s, making
them ideal for acoustic music. We used one for the conductor,
Dede, a second for the emcee, Tom and a third for the rest of
the band. The bass was played through a Roland Microcube
Bass RX. We set the pace for the rest of the festivities. The
Airport and Chamber put a lot of planning and work into this
event. We should have some photos next week.

Next, it was on to Deb and Gary’s for a private luau. Deb and
Gary found us through:

http://www.ohanacreations.com

They’ve both since bought ukuleles and have been playing at
the Ocean House with the Ukulele Society of America on
Thursdays. Deb and Gary are also taking ukulele lessons at:

http://www.museumofmakingmusic.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=237&Itemid=3

Now Deb and Gary told us their house had a tropical island
theme - Kalika and Kepi‘s Tropical Tiki Dinner Party. How
will we notice it?!:

DebGary1.jpg

DebGary2.jpg

Hmm… they did mention they eould be serving fresh sashimi:

DebGary3.jpg

DebGary4.jpg

Even a waterfall:

DebGary5.jpg

Time to Tiki:

DebGary6.jpg