Ovangkol Soprano

ecosteel

Reaction score
Here's a new uke from my workshop. The body is some nicely rippled Ovangkol. It's very stiff and I had to take the top down to 1.35mm to get any flex in it and sides to 1.5 to get the waist bends. Inlays are Awabi shell. Only just strung it up so the top hasn't settled enough to properly evaluate the sound, what I know for now is that it's loud. cheers Steve

Attachments

• fboard.jpg
    fboard.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 50
  • front2.jpg
    front2.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 70
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 56
Really nice. I love the inlays and how they double as fret side-markers.

Dan

I havn't a clue what an "Ovangcol tree" looks like (never heard of it even) :(....and as for an "Awabi" I give up :eek:...But i say the uke looks great :)..and the markers remind's me of the "Pallet uke" i made a while back with screws as markers (only your's are a lot posher )...Keep up the good work Steve.

Very good looking uke! Bravo.

Awabi is a shellfish a bit like an abalone, used in Sushi. It's got really intense reds, greens and blues, very pretty. Ovangkol apparently is African; it's being used as a Koa substitute on account of the price which is a lot less. I believe Taylor (guitars) are using it. Whatever, it's nice timber.

The markers look kinda "techie" and modern for me, but I like them because they are something different than simple dots. Love the wood, and the overall uke tho.. Nice..

Top Bottom