Hammering the g-string

Biff

Reaction score
Hi.

I'd like to add a question, or, at least, pose a problem: I find that when strumming down with my index finger, the g-string (top one) can, at times, dominate the chord; in fact it can overwhelm the chord, especially when playing a chord that uses an open g.

How can I stop doing this. It sounds, er, not good!

:confused:
Biff

Sounds like you are raising your index finger as it strums the strings. Your finger hits the g string hard and as your finger starts to lift up, the other strings are struck lighter than the g string. Try to make a mental note to keep your index finger on a level strum. This is going to take some practice, since you now must undo what your index finger has learned. Just take is SLOW, you'll get it!!!
Hope this helps solve you problem!

There is a way to slightly mute the G string that I have been using on my classical guitar that I am sure will also work on the ukulele. Rest the palm of your right hand (assuming you are right handed), the part just under your thumb, slightly against the G string while you are strumming. Do this lightly so you only lightly mute this string, it lower the sound of the G string and should give you the sound you are looking for. It will take some practice, but you will get it.

Of course this is assuming your strumming technic is good as specified in the above post.

Last edited:
Top Bottom