Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solid Body Luthier

Default Solid Body Luthier

Could anyone refer me to a good solid body (as in electric) luthier who is very reasonable on price.

It may be a while, but I have, what I think, to be a good idea. I'd just like to see what I would be looking at cost-wise.
    Fender Nohea Tenor, Risa LP Tenor, Lanikai LBU-C Banjolele, & Stagg US-20 Soprano (first ukulele). Bass guitars: '78 Rickenbacker 4001, Michael Kelly acoustic.

I have a Monkey Wrench tenor that I'm quite happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by beenfive View Post
    Tape a playboy centerfold on one end of the aquarium and a playgirl centerfold on the other side and she which end of the tank "it" favors....... that is of course that we can assume that your gobie is not gay.

It's pretty amazing those instruments can be sold for those kinds of prices. Wow
    My Real name is Terry Harris

That esty guy wants shooting! When will these amateurs stop undercutting us professionals?

Are the Unkulele's made in the US? I see implications that he makes ukes, but I see no declaration that these are actually US-made. Could they be imports?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Howlett View Post
    That esty guy wants shooting! When will these amateurs stop undercutting us professionals?
    This makes no sense, do you want amateurs to charge more than you?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Turner View Post
    Are the Unkulele's made in the US? I see implications that he makes ukes, but I see no declaration that these are actually US-made. Could they be imports?
    I'm with you. there's a hook there somewhere
    My Real name is Terry Harris

My friend, the classical guitar maker Kenny Hill once told me, "The problem with ukes is that they're 3/4 the trouble of building guitars for 1/2 the money." He was right...if you're trying to build decent ukes.

No. I want amateur builders to stop undercutting professional luthiers by offering their often very good work at ridiculous prices - as a punter you may rejoice in getting a bargain but every bargain devalues the work of those of us who do this to put food on the table. This is my profession - I am not endulging some long held dream, spending 40 hours building an instrument and costing my time out at $5 an hour! I love what I do but really, after a while, the best part of it is banking... Besides, since most of these guys call themselves luthiers and if they are going to aspire to that moniker then they should live up to it. Sorry but this sort of thing really gets my goat! Working at a 'craft' is arduous and rarely financially rewarding except for a fewe at the top of the tree. A little understanding from the general public into what it takes to run a business would help. And just so you know, close on 40% of the retail costs of my ukulele are costs - that is money paid out before I can think of taking an income. So I think I am somewhat qualified to make the comment above and defend the position of myself and other professionals who have chosen this as a way to make a living.

Thread Information