Are baritone players "compensating" for something?

OldePhart

Reaction score
Sorry, this thread is so totally tongue in cheek - feel free to ignore it completely. I just couldn't resist it as a response to the "Why do so many hate the baritone" thread... LOL

John

It's all perspective. As a big guy, playing a soprano makes me look even bigger. A Bari makes you look that much smaller. Lol

when I'M PLAYING My bari., i STILL GET 'wHAT A CUTE 'little' guitar. they never say, "wow, that's a BIG ukulele".

If you are really big people will still think its soprano size.

I don't know about compensating, but I do get a kick out of teasing our baritone player about her "apparent separation anxiety" from guitars.

If you are really big people will still think its soprano size.

Ha ha. When I first realized who "IZ" was, I though he was playing a soprano until I realized how big he was. May he rest in peace.

Dan

I'm compensating...

that's why I play a sopranino...

Have you all ever thought about the music? About how spreading the voices of the instruments out makes for greater musical depth? In "my"...really "our' band, Uke Ellington, the choice of ukes is about how they fit the musical context. It's about the voices of the instruments. Then again, we're not playing "strum-diddle-diddle, strum-diddle-diddle" repertoire. We're trying to make two ukes, bass, vocal and melodica represent a full-on swing band. Often we're using tenor and bariton ukes to accomplish that musical goal.

It's not about the instruments, folks, it's about the music. The ukes are just tools to get the music across.

It's not about the instruments, folks, it's about the music. The ukes are just tools to get the music across.

I completely agree. Use whatever tool the situation calls for. Variety is everything to me and all the sounds and possibilities. I can't get enough different voices. I guess I'm compensating for a lack of sounds!

Will playing a dreadnought ukulele make me look thinner? Is a black ukulele slimming?

I prefer the baritone tuning. I find that it provides easier chord shapes across the more common keys.

With GCEA tuning, get a song with an E or Eb chord in it, then it's yuck.

At least on a Baritone, if you hit a B or Bb chord, it's a bit easier to shape with the wider fret spacing

Last edited:
Ha ha. When I first realized who "IZ" was, I though he was playing a soprano until I realized how big he was. May he rest in peace.

Dan

Yeah, glad I'm not the only one.

Aether, I think you and Rick missed the fact that this thread is purely in jest.

Obviously bari players are just failed guitar players. Am I right or what?:D

I'm an ex guitar player of almost fifty years experience,
and I play mainly sopranos....but I DO have a Baritone
which gets a serious strumm every coupla days or so!

Top Bottom