19 Scale tenor needs new string ideas

Raven

Reaction score
Sup Ukulele Underground,

Here is my dilemma...

Currently I am playing my tenor with a 19 scale neck. I have a longer neck because i have big hands...and a 17 just does not do it for me...to cramped.

For the past 2 years I have been experimenting with strings and different tensions. I do like the Pro Artes and the T2s but found the tension to be just a little to much.

Pro Artes have a tension of at 17" scale
A 12.5 lbs
E 9.5 lbs
C 9.8 lbs
G I use a low G so i use a D 4th wound

So the tension would be alot higher for a 19" neck.

What i found is that the A string is just too tight for comfort and tends to sound muffled and weak...which also happens to savores strings i use as well.

I know that the longer the measurement from the nut to the saddle increases the tension of the strings at the same pitch so in calculating tension using
T (Tension) = (UW x (2 x L x F)2) / 386.4

I also know that the more dense the string material, smaller the diameter needed to achieve the same pitch at same tension...hence the PFC strings such as Worths...

Ok I am getting confused writing this so ill just cut to the chase...

Currently I am using a set of Pro Artes but only the A and E string which I am using for the E and C string...lower the Hz and unit weight lower the tension...

Sound is pretty good...because I still have a 19" neck...but the thing is I cant find a good A string...Currently I am using a PFC string and .022" and the tension is still just ok...but PFC strings tend to be very bright...

I guess it comes down to does anyone know a good nylon A string that wont have that flat overtightened sound to it...on a longer neck ukulele???

If i cant find a good nylon set ill just go back to my PFC strings...

Oh I know Hilo makes a set for longer necks...ive yet to try it...I do have them.

I know this is long...but it has been bugging me...
Thanks for the help in advance.

Contact the various string makers and find the lowest tension classical guitar strings they make and use the top four strings.

I do exactly as Rick stated. But first - which Pro Artes are you using?

If you wanted a more "mellow" set, stay away from the T2's (which are one of my favorites, next to Savarez Alliance). BTW, which Savarez are you using, the 540J or 540R?

Normally I'll use the 46 (Hard Tension) series of Pro Artes, never the 44 (Extra hard tension) - I have used the 45 (Normal Tension) series when I have multiple strings (like on a 6 stringer). They also have a 43 (Light Tension) that may be right up your alley.

This is one reason that I sort of stick to D'Addario (besides the fact I like their T46 sets) - easy to make custom sets, with lots of choices.
I think Aranjuez may be the same (I use D'Addario 48 series for my 4th string, but they're no longer available as a single, so I may try out Aranjuez as was recommended to me).

Just my $.02, if that. Aaron

I would suggest D'addario j94's for Requinto. They work great on a 20.125" scale UTAR. I play slack key tunings and it plays well. They should be quite comfortable on a 19" scale. You just need to toss out the 5th and 6th strings.

I do exactly as Rick stated. But first - which Pro Artes are you using?

If you wanted a more "mellow" set, stay away from the T2's (which are one of my favorites, next to Savarez Alliance). BTW, which Savarez are you using, the 540J or 540R?

Normally I'll use the 46 (Hard Tension) series of Pro Artes, never the 44 (Extra hard tension) - I have used the 45 (Normal Tension) series when I have multiple strings (like on a 6 stringer). They also have a 43 (Light Tension) that may be right up your alley.

This is one reason that I sort of stick to D'Addario (besides the fact I like their T46 sets) - easy to make custom sets, with lots of choices.
I think Aranjuez may be the same (I use D'Addario 48 series for my 4th string, but they're no longer available as a single, so I may try out Aranjuez as was recommended to me).

Just my $.02, if that. Aaron

Hey guys thanks for the replies. Now to answer...I've used savarez 541j E, 542j B and 543j G. The savarez is part of the alliance classic guitar set. I had it on for 2 days because that A was just too tight. I've never tried a 540j or r string.

For the pro artes I'm using the J4601 E hard tension. Standard pro arte tenor set. I've had the T2 sets for 6 months changing it every other month till I switched to a PFC set. Which I believe to be the same number as the proarte but with a T...

I've also tried all the koolau strings: alohi, mahina, golds, etc
I've tried ghs strings low g tenor. Which was ok and very twangy and not enough mellow mids for me.
I've tried aquila strings and my ukulele just stetches it to much it goes bad fast...I really don't like aquilas sound and feel.

Honestly just the A string is whats bugging me. I do like the sound of the T2s, pro artes and alliance along with the feel of the strings when chording. The set of PFC strings are harder on the fingers...think it would be nicer on a radius fret board.

Oh and a side note I went from a wound C medium tension generic string to a current ghs t4s D. I was looking at the wound pro arte.

Thanks hope this helps

I would suggest D'addario j94's for Requinto. They work great on a 20.125" scale UTAR. I play slack key tunings and it plays well. They should be quite comfortable on a 19" scale. You just need to toss out the 5th and 6th strings.
I'll look that up right now on my iPad. How is the sound?

BTW, "Just Strings" is a fantastic resource for info and strings, and they make a lot of single strings available, so you could work up custom sets.

Mixing and matching strings of different brands and compositions is very common in the violin world. Players are willing to jump through a lot of hoops to match a string set to their violin and their playing style. No reason for that not to be the case in the guitar and uke worlds.

I've used savarez 541j E, 542j B and 543j G. The savarez is part of the alliance classic guitar set. I had it on for 2 days because that A was just too tight. I've never tried a 540j or r string.

For the pro artes I'm using the J4601 E hard tension. Standard pro arte tenor set. I've had the T2 sets for 6 months changing it every other month till I switched to a PFC set. Which I believe to be the same number as the proarte but with a T...

Savarez 540J is the Hard tension "set", while the 540R is the Normal Tension "set", so a softer 1st string for you would be the 541R.

For D'Addario, you should drop the 1st string down to a J45 or J43 (not sure if they have that tension in Titaniums) for a lower tension A.

Not unlike Rick again, Juststrings.com was the place for me to order individual strings. I've gravitated to stringsbymail.com for the last couple of years as I used to get my J4804 Bronze wound LowG string from them (they're the ones that recommended Aranjuez to replace the J4804).

-Aaron

BTW, "Just Strings" is a fantastic resource for info and strings, and they make a lot of single strings available, so you could work up custom sets.

Mixing and matching strings of different brands and compositions is very common in the violin world. Players are willing to jump through a lot of hoops to match a string set to their violin and their playing style. No reason for that not to be the case in the guitar and uke worlds.

Yes I do buy string from juststrings.com and I am making a list of what to try next that is why am asking about strings lol thanks I need all the help I can get.

Savarez 540J is the Hard tension "set", while the 540R is the Normal Tension "set", so a softer 1st string for you would be the 541R.

For D'Addario, you should drop the 1st string down to a J45 or J43 (not sure if they have that tension in Titaniums) for a lower tension A.

Not unlike Rick again, Juststrings.com was the place for me to order individual strings. I've gravitated to stringsbymail.com for the last couple of years as I used to get my J4804 Bronze wound LowG string from them (they're the ones that recommended Aranjuez to replace the J4804).

-Aaron

I will def look into getting those to try. I do need a new set of wounds as well so looks like I'll try that as well. If you think of anything else I appreciate it...again. Thank you for all your help.

Top Bottom