Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I found the cure for PTSD! Thanks 'ukulele....

Default I found the cure for PTSD! Thanks 'ukulele....

Hello there UU!

I have had my 'ukulele and stalked the forums for nearly a month now, so I figured I better introduce myself sooner than later.

My name is Nick, and I recently became addicted to the uke.

About 6 years ago I joined the Navy and ended up on a lovely island named Guam. Everywhere I went out in public, there was always at least one kid walking around playing the 'ukulele. I fell in love with the thing instantly, but never bought one. The cheapest I could find on the island at the time (not being a local and all), was around $600. I decided that was too expensive for something I wasn't sure if I really wanted to commit to. Needless to say, I met my wife, had a child, got sent to war, had a rough breakup with the Navy, and ended up back Stateside. The 'ukulele became out of sight out of mind.

Well about a month ago I ended up in a Guitar Center helping a friend pick out equipment for his home studio when I walked past a bunch of ukes. On a complete impulse, I picked up a Lanikai LU-21CE.

This little guy has been a blessing for me. It has brought so much joy into my life and really has made me a better husband and father. Also, with my wife being from the islands, its a win win! And seeing my son get interested in music is the greatest thing of all!

Not sure if this is the type of thread you guys are looking for...but for those suffering from depression or PTSD or any other so called disorder, the 'ukulele works way better than those pills the VA feeds us.

I am also very grateful for this site and the great community built here. You guys inspire me to want to play, play, play!!

Nick Foote

Welcome to the forum, Nick, very glad to have you!

Great to hear your ukulele is bringing so much joy into you and your family's lives.
    -Ralf Youtz

My videos are here.

The future is unwritten.

Aloha and E Komo Mai Nick!!! Glad you joined the UU!! BTW....many Mahalos for your service to our country!!!!!!
    Ahhhhh.....behold the power of the ukulele, it cures most if not all problems!!!
    Kanile'a 6 String K-1, Kamaka HF-3, Makala Concert

Thank God the Tiki Bar is open!!!!

Ditto what coconut Willie said. Welcome, thanks for the post, have fun and enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Coconut Willie View Post
    Aloha and E Komo Mai Nick!!! Glad you joined the UU!! BTW....many Mahalos for your service to our country!!!!!!
    Ahhhhh.....behold the power of the ukulele, it cures most if not all problems!!!
    I agree with Coconut Willie.......mahalo for your service and welcome to the family!!!!
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Aloha & E Komo Mai shipmate! I served 12 years on Active Duty with the USN (Aviation) and I'm from Hawaii. Mahalo for your service to our country and I'm happy for you that you've found the uke helps with your PTSD. I grew up playing multiple sports and didn't start playing the uke seriously until a few months ago. I'm totally hooked and having a blast! You will make lots of friends here @ the UU and learn a lot about the uke and how to play. Enjoy!

Welcome aboard, Nick!

I've been diagnosed as PSTD from work in Emergency Services (FF/paramedic), and I haven't had any issues since I've been playing the ukulele. It helps, and playing with others certainly helps as well.

I don't know if Peoria has a Ukulele Club or not, but it is a great thing to be involved with, if there is one.

We've got one here in Schenectady, but it only meets once a month. On the other hand, there is another UU member who lives nearby, so we're trying to get together more often than that to make music. And since she and my wife can also talk knitting at the same time, it is a win-win all around!

-Kurt
    {watch this space} Magic Fluke Timber Bass * Ohana CK450QEL * Ohana CK-65D * Ken Timms Soprano
    Moku MS-90S * Waterman * National Triolian Reso * Bugsgear Aqualele * Donaldson Concert
    Rosewood Vita Uke * Waverly Street #38 * Ko'Aloha Sceptre Tenor * Ohana Vita Uke
    Fluke FireFly * Epiphone Les Paul Ukulele * Republic Concert * Fluke Tenor M22
    Kala KA-KTG-CT * Cordoba 20TM * 1950s Harmony soprano *1920s Stella banjo uke

Am I done?

...naw...

My YouTube Channel

Nick,

Thank you for sharing your story, the uke has been a life saver for so many and in so many ways. I know the challenge of Navy life all too well. My husband is over 19 yrs now and we are counting down.
    Sounds like you have a beautiful family that loves you.. Welcome to UU and the uke! it really is a blessing in so many ways...

Welcome and thanks for sharing your uke story.

Hey airmanfoote, there are a few peoria ukers that get together once in a while and a uke grop in bloomington/ Normal.
    Also my family is sponsoring a small uke get together in Taylorville where i live Oct. 22 10am-2pm. Older and easy music if you are interested.
    I know of one peoria area uker coming down here. Family friendly, bring the wife and children
    Mainland Red Cedar Tenor
    DS Gill Tenor Pineapple spruce/mahogany
    Goldtone Concert Banjo Uke (BUC)
    Blueridge BR-40T Tenor guitar tuned DGBE
    Kala U-Bass
    Gold Tone CC-OT 5 string banjo
    Come visit "CB's Pickin' Place"

Thread Information