Thread: Tuning an 8 String Uku

Default Tuning an 8 String Uku

Is it possible to tune an 8-String Ukulele to a standard Mandolin tuning (G-D-A-E)?
    Any info would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks

If you haven't, also check at the Mandolin Cafe

Anything is possible - you probably will have to select different string gages to get good intonation.

Also, on mandolins all courses are tuned in unison.

Also, mandolins are steel strings and very short-sustain carved tops, while ukes are nylong strings on a box that, while it doesn't have as much sustain as a guitar, has more sustain than most mandolins.

So, if you're looking to turn a uku into a mando, it can be done but it's not going to be a very good mando.

John
    I'm not entirely convinced that it is possible to polish a turd. However, if one were to accomplish that feat one would still have a turd, and one all the more noticeable for being shiny.

Check out my ukulele-themed "stuff" at http://www.cafepress.com/fivebyfiveukulele - proceeds go to a good cause...UAS treatment!

You shouldn't have a problem without changing the strings at all, because the lower strings are voiced in octaves, so you don't have to go far to grab the nearest appropriate mandolin note.

I have always wanted to string a mandolin like an 8 string, sort of the opposite of this post. I figure playing the mandolin puts me one step closer to being a Sherpa, but I would like my ukulele skills to transfer.

Thread Information