Kamaka strings??

PoiDog

Reaction score
Has anyone tried these at all? I only now just noticed them as I was browsing (well, dreaming really) through the HMS site.

The description makes them sound as if the Kamaka strings are in the same class as another K maker's strings - the Ko'olau Alohis. Is my assumption right? I wonder how the Kamakas match up to some of the fluouro brands, like Worth or Orcas.

I like Kamaka strings but it seems many people do not - maybe because they are a little more on the quiet side and kinda mellow. It was reported at one point on UU that they were made by D'Addario but I am not sure of the veracity of that statement.

Recently on Kamaka's facebook, Fred Kamaka stated that their strings are a special blend made for them by D'Addario.

Absolutely HATE them. I've swapped mine out within 15 minutes of each new Kamaka's arrival. I like Martin fluoros on mine.

Ditto. I hate them too -- the tone and feel of them. When I had my uke worked on by the factory last year I was horrified to see that they had swapped out my Worths for their factory strings. I couldn't get them off fast enough. This time when I dropped it off at the factory for repairs I was smarter. I replaced my Worths with the set of Kamakas they had given me the year before so that I wouldn't lose my good strings.

I still maintain that one reason so many people are unimpressed with Kamakas in stores (compared to KoAloha or Kanile'a) is those rotten stock strings -- compared to the Worth and Aquilas used by the other two.

Absolutely HATE them. I've swapped mine out within 15 minutes of each new Kamaka's arrival. I like Martin fluoros on mine.

Yeah, but what do you really think? You need to express yourself, Janeray. This subtlety is sometimes hard to navigate :)

I still maintain that one reason so many people are unimpressed with Kamakas in stores (compared to KoAloha or Kanile'a) is those rotten stock strings -- compared to the Worth and Aquilas used by the other two.

Agree with you completely. When I bought my pineapple and it sounded fantastic even *with* the stock strings, I knew I had a winner!

I tend to agree with others that the Kamaka strings leave something to be desired on Kamaka ukuleles themselves. Odd, but to my ears, true. Although, I have used them successfully on some of my other ukes. I like them on my Fluke for example. Also anytime I feel I need to mellow out or warm a uke's tone I've used the Kamaka strings. It is true that nearly every Kamaka in the store has sounded a bit dead to me, but as Janeray has experienced, find the one that sounds good with the stock strings and snatch it up.

To answer the other question, I don't think they compare well to their fluorocarbon counterparts. I prefer the sound fluorocarbons bring to my ukes. I have heard excellent sound samples using other nylon strings, but I always come back to fluorocarbons, either Worth Clears or Browns, Martins and my absolute fav, Fremont Blacklines.

Don't know if you've seen the 6 string comparisons they did with Kamaka HF-3 tenors on the HMS site or youtube, but definitely worth a watch (and listen). The Ko'olau Alohi's really sounded good in the demo and they're some other material not nylon I believe.

I love them. The strings that've worked best for me on my HF-1 so far were the factory strings and the Ko'olau Mahana set.

I've tried a couple fluorocarbon string sets, which have sounded good, but none has matched the factory strings for depth. A deep, mellow tone is more important to me than sustain or volume---the qualities the fluorocarbon strings emphasized.

I treat Kamaka strings in a slightly different way. I like them, because for new instrument they just fit into what they should be. They present the normal quality of Kamaka sound before the instrument gets opened up. I didn't have any chance to listen to other Kamaka instruments before I received it, but, this one is excellent and way ahead to another Kanile'a concert I own. There is no defeat on the concert -- just a personal comparison and preference.

When you compare Kamaka strings to others, everyone will say "warm" or "mellow" characteristically. But I think that compare Kamaka to Worth clear is not a fair game, Worth clear(CT series) strings intend to become a bright sound, Worth brown is warm. I did put Worth brown strings on my Kamaka but gave up in the middle way, why? Become the Worth brown strings sound even more dead on my HF-3. Too warm and not enough volume, maybe Worth brown will be a good set on certain instruments, just not for my HF-3. I still have some spare strings like Hilo(wound, Low G) on hands and will try them in the future.

My suggestion? Wait for your Kamaka opened up and try other strings like D'addario J71 or Fremont Blackline, but keep a new set of Kamaka strings in stock. I'm planning on doing the same, and I will expect to go back to the factory strings sooner or later.

Oh and for fluorocarbon strings: Kamaka vs Worth Brown, I like Kamaka. If vs Worth clear, then its Worth clear. I had no chance to play with Orcas (yet), so can't speak for it.

I love them. The strings that've worked best for me on my HF-1 so far were the factory strings and the Ko'olau Mahana set.

I've tried a couple fluorocarbon string sets, which have sounded good, but none has matched the factory strings for depth. A deep, mellow tone is more important to me than sustain or volume---the qualities the fluorocarbon strings emphasized.

It's good to hear everyone's reasons. I knew there had to be folks that love them and with compelling rationale. It's funny but as I get more time with the uke, I find my ears are becoming more sensitive to the nuances of tone. I can see myself in a few years really appreciating what Kamaka and Ko'olau Mahana strings bring to the table. But right now I feel like the shopper in Best Buy drawn to the TV the highest contrast and brightness pegged. (I was way into home theater set ups and know it's bad, but it does sell more TVs.) I find I'm not totally into loud and bright as I used to be, and more and more not digging the super bright Aquila sound, but still tend toward fluorocarbon... for now. Also it could be somewhat of a technique issue driving the preference. I'm a soft player and the Fremonts, to my ears, when played softly can have a rich mellow sound. Like I said though, I do feel my preferences changing toward what some of the straight nylon sets bring. I know I like what sound Jake among others pull out of them for sure.

Any thoughts on how much technique drives the ultimate tone of a string?

It's good to hear everyone's reasons. I knew there had to be folks that love them and with compelling rationale. It's funny but as I get more time with the uke, I find my ears are becoming more sensitive to the nuances of tone. [SNIP]

Any thoughts on how much technique drives the ultimate tone of a string?

The more I change ukuleles and/or strings, the more I learn about what "sounds" I prefer. I find that the differences are huge when I take the time to listen carefully.

I've tried various strings on my HF-1 and always come back to the Kamaka strings on that uke for the classic soprano strumming sound.

On my HF-3 and other tenors and concerts where I'm more interested in fingerstyle/solo playing, I don't use the Kamaka strings. Currently, the HF-3 has Worth Browns on it.

After a trip through trying different strings on my Kamaka Tenor I am back to Kamaka strings. To me they sound better than any other strings. If you just leave the Kamaka strings on the uke and just play it for a few weeks you will begin to hear not only a clearity but a dynamic range of sound and color. I think Kamaka knows what they are doing with the string set they designed for their ukes. Don’t be in a hurry to yank off the Kamaka strings.

I am new to the Kamaka world but thought the stock stings where actually okay. It certainly would not put me off and they still did enough to get a great sound from the uke. Now using Fremont Blacklines. They are great. And have a cool name :cool:

Top Bottom