Spalted Hack berry and Rosewood

mrhandy

Reaction score
I thought I would post up a couple pics of the uke I am just about finished with. I think I might have gone a little overboard with it, but It is definitely made of some seriously cool wood.

Attachments

• 101_2051.jpg
    101_2051.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 167
  • 101_2050.jpg
    101_2050.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 186
Love it. Where did the hack berry come from and what kind of properties does it have? I know there's hack berry all over this area (KY,TN,OH) and it's pretty much considered a pest.. my kind of wood.

I got the Hack berry from a friend here in Florida, She is a wood turner. It was cut somewhere in Florida, not sure if it was north or south... The wood is fine grained and has a medium hardness... a bit like cherry, but maybe a bit denser. The rosewood is also from Florida, St Pete I believe. I just strung it up, it is not the loudest uke in the world, but I left the Hack berry a touch thicker then I will next time and I went with 3 fan braces... next time I will go with a single brace... That seems to be holding up well on the sycamore concert I strung up a couple weeks ago.

This one is part of a set of 7. Serial numbers 2-8... The Gentleman that commissioned them saw #2 and had to have it and said make me #3, then when 3 came he said I need 5 more... This is #5 I have enough of that Piece of rosewood to make at least 2 more fretboards, and at least enough Hackberry to make maybe 7 or 8 more ukes. I let him know that I am very inexperienced in Luthery, he said he was happy to invest in my education.

I believe there is one for each of his grandchildren.

That is pretty damned radical looking. Love it. Anxious to hear how it sounds?

I will see if I can get a Video up today... Just remember, I have been learning to play for about 3 months... all i can do is strum a few chords :)

OK here is a quick video of my latest 3 ukes... lets see if i can get it to embed.
[video]http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?v=572475044989[/video]

Click the link to see the video, you do not need facebook to be able to watch it.

I have fought with this on another forum... it seems that at some point something clicks and the video will simply show up in the post... we will see.

Last edited:
Very nice work all around mrhandy.
Checked out your other vids as well. Good stuff!
Had trouble loading the steam bending video for some reason.
Don't know why.

I know we have Chinaberry here in FL as well. I have not worked with it before, but the woodturners do... I may have to get my hands on a piece... someone was also telling me they wanted to give me some seagrape. He said it seems to be quite similar to mahogany.

The steam bending video is of chair backs, not of ukes, regardless it is not working. I will see if I can get it working, or remove it...
thanks for watching.

Top Bottom