classical guitar string help

mandrew

Reaction score
A friend knows that I like ukes, and gave me a used Takamine G124 classical guitar. It is a budget guitar with laminate spruce top. As I have learned from ukes, laminates can often be helped by putting better strings on it, at least brighter strings, like Aquilas. What would be a good string set to put on this guitar to get the most out of it? what is the comparable "Aquila" in the nylon guitar world? Would Pro Arte's be good?

Pro Arte's are rectified Nylon, a very good string but not especially bright.
Aquila do make strings for Classical Guitars.
Fluorocarbon strings are supposedly quite bright sounding, although I've never actually tried them. Try the proArte's, readily available, fairly cheap and quality control is amongst the best. The limitations aren't really going to be the strings but the laminated Top. Just occasionally you can come across a laminated Top that sounds half decent. You never know!

Pro Arte's would be a good place to start. I prefer Pro Arte's on my classical actually. I find that laminate tops aren't as horrible in the guitar world as they are in the uke world. One of my favorite guitars is an all laminate model.

I've heard really good things about Salvarez strings, but I can't personally see spending that much on a set of strings when I really only play classical guitar for my own enjoyment.

Extra Hard Pro Arte's are nice strings. I have used them on my Taylor Nylon. They should be plenty bright. I play the EJ32 Folk Nylons now with black trebles.

If your looking for other recommendations, I've used Augustine Reds for 35 years. I have them on my solid top classicals and a flamenco as well as an elcheapo-laminated pawn shop find Fender classical. They sound great and are fairly cheap, around $6-7 from Elderly. My first teacher told me Segovia used them so I never changed.

Don't have much Pro Arte experience except for a set I tried on my uke. Sounded ok, but I liked some of the fluorocarbon alternatives better. However, we know the Pro Artes sound pretty good on Jake's uke.

I have a lower end solid cedar top classical, and after doing the usual internet research, swapped out the stock nylon strings for Aquila Ambras. Immediate improvement in tone, was very impressed. However, after a few months of light playing, one of the strings snapped while the guitar was 'at rest' in its stand. I then replaced the strings with Savarez Alliance HT Classic 540 R (I'm reading this off the package), and WOW, it was way better sounding than the Aquilas. Really like that string set.

Another vote for Savarez

I've been using Savarez Alliance HT (the blue package) for over 20 years on my classical guitar. They're great sounding strings and last longer than other popular brands. I use the D string from this set as my low G for uke.

I have a fleet of flamenco guitars. The closest in 'feel' to Aquila uke strings would be Saverez I reckon. I use Savarez white card (low tension) on some guitars, and Saverez( red card) high tension on others.

NB Pay some attention to STRING TENSION. High tension strings on a cheap guitar will feel SUPER HIGH!!!

With my classical guitar (solid top, laminated body) I prefer the D'Addario or Alhambra Extra High Tension strings (they're the same, just rebranded - but the D'Addaraio labelled Extra High Tension set isn't imported to where I live. I can get the Alhambra variant though).
The guitar sounds much better with these than with standard high tension. And it doesn't _feel_ high tension when playing, there's no strain involved.

-Tor

Top Bottom