Thread: The More I Think About It, The More I Think This Is Something Else...

Default The More I Think About It, The More I Think This Is Something Else...

This afternoon, I was messing around with this chord progression that I thought would sound cool on a banjo uke (which I don't have yet). The turnaround thingy at the end reminded me of something, but I couldn't put my finger on it. Now, the more I think about it, the more I think I subconsciously stole the entire second half of the progression AND the turnaround at the end from "When I'm Cleaning Windows" by George Formby.
    Did I? Is the whole damned tune Formby's????
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1. Those who need closure.

ca. 1923-'27 Martin Style 3M, ca. 1927-'28 Martin Style 2M, 1950s Martin Style 1M, ca. 1930 Gibson Uke 3, Kiwaya KTS-7, Mainland Gloss Mahogany Soprano, Mainland Red Cedar Pineapple Soprano, Mainland Maple Soprano Banjo Uke, Flea Soprano, Maccaferri Islander Soprano and Baritone, et al...
    My paltry Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/user/ukecycle

Hippie Dribble Guest

hi Chris,

not sure what it is but it sounds pretty darned good to these ears.

funny how there are just so many tunes with those standard kind of progressions and turnarounds, especially in ragtime, vaudeville and tin pan alley stuff...they start to blend into each other after awhile.

Always enjoy your playing mate; have fun your new banjo-uke. Cheers!

Yeah don't worry too much about it at all! Loads of songs are just the same really, and turnarounds on the banjo uke too, sounds great!

Yeah, check out some of the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain's "mashups" - five or six well-known pop songs all going at once over the same chord progression.
    I'm not entirely convinced that it is possible to polish a turd. However, if one were to accomplish that feat one would still have a turd, and one all the more noticeable for being shiny.

Check out my ukulele-themed "stuff" at http://www.cafepress.com/fivebyfiveukulele - proceeds go to a good cause...UAS treatment!

Yes, extremely similar to windows - but then it a pretty common pattern anyway. Crops up all the time in ragtime.

Sounds nice anyhoo!

Don't sweat it - just recently I invented a motor driven by magnets and electrical current. Turns out that already exists, it's called an electric motor.

My understanding is that chord progressions cannot be copyrighted, you just need to come up with an original melody to go with it.

I was recently listening to my Buena Vista Social Club album, and realized that the song "Orgullecida" is pretty much the same progression as "Five foot two", as are countless other songs. Just interesting when it crosses genres like this.

[QUOTE=Chris Tarman;773989]This afternoon, I was messing around with this chord progression that I thought would sound cool on a banjo uke (which I don't have yet). The turnaround thingy at the end reminded me of something, but I couldn't put my finger on it. Now, the more I think about it, the more I think I subconsciously stole the entire second half of the progression AND the turnaround at the end from "When I'm Cleaning Windows" by George Formby.
    Did I? Is the whole damned tune Formby's????/QUOTE]

I didn't recognize the first half as "Formby" (perhaps the strums) but yeah, the 2nd half's chord progression definitely was familiar. I enjoyed the 1st half and I enjoyed the 2nd half! Wish I could play the 1st half and the 2nd half nearly as well as you did!
    ---Tom---

Soprano, No Brand Name, Beginner Uke
    Soprano, Long Neck (Concert scale), KALA KS-SLNG
    Soprano, OHANA, SK-38
    Soprano, Long Neck (Concert scale), KoALOHA
    Concert, OHANA, CK-35G
    Tenor, OHANA, TK-80
    Soprano, GOLD TONE, Banjolele

Thread Information