Mim's Give 'em the Old RAZZLE DAZZLE for a Makai Contest!

Mim

Reaction score
broadway_sign1.jpg

Showtunes!!!
Showtunes!!!
Showtunes!!!
Showtunes!!!
Showtunes!!!
Showtunes!!!
Showtunes!!!

(Will have youtube contest intro video here sometime... but... if I wait until it is done, it could be a month! And I am too excited to wait!)

RULES

It MUST be a showtune! Think Broadway!
(Now, yes I know Disney movies are musicals, but unless they were on-stage... I mean... come on people...too easy! SHOWTUNES PEOPLE!!!)

You have to play Ukulele! You can play other things, but ukulele needs to be the main intrument!

You can enter up to 3 times!

Instrumental or Voice... I am cool with both!

You have to say/write, "I am entering Mim's Give 'em the old Razzle Dazzle for a Makai Contest" in the beginning.

This needs to be a song recorded for this contest (no submitting previously recoded vids... it ruins the fun)

You MUST post your entry here (or I will never be able to stay organized with it)! And because you are cool like that, try to submit it as a video response to my yet unmade intro video!

You can enter with someone else, though only one person can win the prize. So you will have to flip a coin, mud wrestly, duke it out... whatever! But there are soooo many good Showtune duets, I hope to see some entries!

Have fun! Give 'em the old Razzle Dazzle!

All SHOWTUNES are GOOD TO GO!!! Everything from Memory to Time Warp, Everything from Music of the Night to I Want to Be a Producer, Oh What a Beautiful Morning to Sobbin' Women... and everything in-between!

Contest Ends 11/11/11 at 11:11pm!

PRIZE

$(KGrHqIOKiQE3dQ+BB!bBOBJkKMb3w~~_35.JPG

A Solid Cedar Top, Solid Rosewood Back & Sides Makai

... with a broken neck! A good fixable break, that is how I got it for the contest! I will mend it, slap a bandaid on it, and ship it to you! It will be almost as good as new!

This uke sounds AMAZING by the way! It is my favorite tone-wood combination! I will show it off in the video when I get around to making it!

JUDGING

Random drawing...
Judging the last contest just about killed me!

But I wanted to make this contest as fun as it could be, so you get more tickets for certain things...

You get 1 ticket for each the following, you can rack up as many as you want (I may add a few in the next few days as I think of them):

-If you enter
-If you do the proper intro
-If you do jazz hands when you say "Razzle Dazzle" in the intro
-If you do it in costume (this can be as simple or as complicated as you would like)
-If you have a "set" of any sort (cheesy backdrop, green screen)
-Other Cast Members
-If you have a dance number (You can blame Uncle Elvis for this suggestion)
-If you put my website www.mimsukes.com at the end of your video, ha!

(If anyone can think of anything else "Showtune-ish" that I should add to this... let me know... I want this to be the FUNNEST CONTEST EVER!)

You DO NOT need to do all of these! It is just something that if the extra effort is made, then more tickets will be given!

Again, the winner is random, but if you enter 3 times and do a few of the things in the above list, you will have a heck of a lot of chances to enter. And if you think about it, even just submitting a video will get you one ticket in the pot!

Now... we are also trying something new called:

YOU BE THE JUDGE!!!

Every time there is a contest someone always says, “But I thought, hope, wished that [insert name here] would have won!" So we are trying something new for this contest called YOU BE THE JUDGE! If you like this contest and want to declare a winner... YOU TOO CAN BE A JUDGE! The winner for the uke will be picked at random. BUT, if you know you will have a favorite and you want to “pick a winner”, sign up to be a “Judge” and pick a “Judges Choice” at the end of the competition! Just let me know you want to be a judge, let me know what prize you want to give, and I will list you in the “Judging Panel”. Then at the end of the compeition, you can announce your “Judges Favorite” and they will win your prize! This should be a whole ‘lotta fun! They can be your favorite because of their voice, their originality, they sang your favorite song, you thought they were super cute, ANYTHING… it will be YOUR prerogative and your choice!

FYI: Judges can still win! Any of their submissions qualify for tickets just like everyone else and a judge can choose another judge for a winner!!! In the words of the great Miley Cyrus, you "Get The Best of Both Worlds!"

broadway-show-tickets-new-york.jpg

Attachments

• broadway_sign1.jpg
    broadway_sign1.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
JUDGING PANEL

poofy-judges_178x140.jpg

JUDGE #1

Mim

The Contest:

The RAZZLE to the DAZZLE!!!

Judging Criteria:

What is listed above.
But... Being the cheeseball that I am...
The winner for me will probably be the person who leaves me rolling in the isles,
picks a really classic showtunes song that blows me out of the water,
or smolders up a smoldering song,
or goes out of their confort zone!

Basically... whoever I want to give it to I suppose! But it will be fun pickin'!

Prize:

Mim's Ukes T-shirt &
NAMM Bag with Radom Swag
(Clip-on tuner, stickers, fun stuff)

JUDGE #2
UncleElvis

the one and only

The Contest:

Uncle Elvis Loves Your Video Contest

Judging Criteria:

1) Do whatever Mim tells you

2) Which video I like the most. (Not which one YOU like the most. That's your contest.) WINS!

Prize:
1) An Uncle Elvis sticker.

2) 25-50 (depending on the deal I get from the printer) stickers, designed by me, saying something along the lines of "Winner of the (Your Username or Name Here) Loves Your Work Contest!", so that you can pass it on during the next contest! YOU can be the judge of your own contest WITH A PRIZE! WOO HOO!

3) A hearty fist bump if we ever meet in real life.

Aw, who am I kidding. You're getting a hug.

JUDGE #3
Tina

Austin1

The Contest:

Tina Liebt Dein Video (Und, Wenn Du Glück Hast, Auch Dich) Contest

Judging Criteria:

1) Whatever Mim's rules are

2) My criteria, which change daily, but may or may not be limited to:
2a) how I feel when I wake up that morning
2b) what color I'm wearing
2c) how much alcohol I consumed the night before
2d) your hair
2e) the weather
2f) lots of other things that I will probably make up on the spot

Prize:
German Chocolate

JUDGE #4
Lori

Lori of Uke Leash

The Contest:

Unnamed as of now, so for now I will call it the:
UKE LEASHES ARE AWESOME CONTEST!

Judging Criteria:

1. Attractive video presentation with attention to details like background, lighting, sound quality, composition and editing.
2. Performance.
3. Creativity.

Prize:
A Uke Leash!!!
www.ukeleash.com
*Note from Mim: Check them out... they are awesome!*

JUDGE #5
Mark

mds725

The Contest:

Unnamed as of now

Judging Criteria:

My goal is to find the most clever video that (i) doesn't use special effects and (ii) uses a minimum of other video tricks, so that my prize ends up going to someone as inept at video recording technology as I am (but, of course, not to me). I may come up with a catchy name for the prize, like the Luddite Award or the Anti-CGI Prize.

- The stuff listed in the original contest announcement
- No special effects, and a minimum of other video effects, such as (but not limited to) overdubbing
- Creativity in choice of song
- Creativity in presentation (without special effects and with a minimum of other video effects)
- Earnestness of performance, including your interpretation of the song you choose
- Interesting use of the ukulele(s)
- Any other aspect of the entry that strikes me as being prizeworthy.

Prize:
My prize, assuming I can get my hands on one, is a Makala Dolphin, or the equivalent. Color to be determined, and is in the sole discretion of the judge (me).

JUDGE #6
Jon

bbycrts

The Contest:

Tickle Baby Carrot's Funny Bone

Judging Criteria:

2) Make me laugh. That's it! The video that makes me laugh hardest wins.

Prize:

A set of bumper stickers from the famous Voodoo Doughnuts, PLUS a Voodoo Doughnuts swag bag!

AND I will make Uncle Elvis give you a hug if you ever meet in person.

JUDGE #7
Sukie

The Contest:

I'm Sukie's Favorite Contest

Judging Criteria:

Follow Mim's rules. Be my favorite.

What's gonna be my favourite? Laughing is aways good. Skill level is no biggie. Creativity is good.

Prize:

A UU T-shirt from me!

JUDGE #8
John

OldePhart (who is neither old, nor does smell)

The Contest:

"John's I Wish I'd Thought of That Mini Contest Within Mim's Give 'em the Old RAZZLE DAZZLE for a Makai Contest!"

Judging Criteria:

1) Do what da lady says.

2) Stun me; make me say, "I wish I'd thought of that," or "I wish I could pull that off" (depending on whether I am feeling inadequate about my playing skills or general lack of creativity when the contest ends).

Prize:
Prize is two, count 'em two, sets of soprano/concert Savarez ukulele strings.

JUDGE #9
JoeyBug

The Contest:
JoeyBug's Contest

Judging Criteria:

I'm hoping to pass this on to a newbie to the Ukulele, but all skill levels will be eligible!

Here's what you need to do!

1) Do everything Mim tells you to do
2) No fancy videos - just want a video with a song and an ukulele and someone trying their best
3) To earn extra points, include the words "Joey's Purple Power" in your vid and you'll win favour!
4) Would love to give this to someone who's entering this as their first contest, but anyone is welcome

Finally, my decision is final!

Prize:
A copy of Mel Bay's "Fun With The Ukulele"

JUDGE #10
chrimess

The Contest:
First we take the Broadway, then we Uke-opy Wall Street" Contest

Judging Criteria:

1. do everything Mim tells you
2. give me a protest show tune(eg Holiday from the Green Day musical) or a song of the oppressed (anything from Les Miserables)

It is time to rise up and what better instrument to use than the silent Uke. Broadway-people, show some sympathy with your neighbors on Wall Street that live in tents over there.

Prize:

I will award
- a copy of Communist Manifesto
- a Leonard Cohen CD
- a copy of The 86 Biggest Lies on Wall Street by John R. Talbott

Extra points for raised fists!

Last edited:
Maybe "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" from the Green Day stage adaptation of "American Idiot". Appropriate for a uke with a broken neck prize. Woo hoo!

Maybe if someone mentions Mim's Ukes twice but promises to leave out the broken uke prize, you might throw in a tuner with cracked display, or a set of Aquila's missing the E string or something. lol

;-o

Last edited:
It's WAY too late for me to be on, but I'm signing up to be a judge.

So...

When you enter Mim's Showtunes Contest, you're also entering the Uncle Elvis Loves Your Video Contest, too, automatically!

The rules are:

The winner will be based on:

1) Which video I like the most. Not which one YOU like the most. That's your contest.

The prize will be:

1) An Uncle Elvis sticker.

2) 25-50 (depending on the deal I get from the printer) stickers, designed by me, saying something along the lines of "Winner of the (Your Username or Name Here) Loves Your Work Contest!", so that you can pass it on during the next contest! YOU can be the judge of your own contest WITH A PRIZE! WOO HOO!

3) A hearty fist bump if we ever meet in real life.

Aw, who am I kidding. You're getting a hug.

Oh. My. God. I am most definitely entering, possibly even three times. I am SO EXCITED MIM I LOVE YOU.

This looks great fun! I may have to enter this one :D:D:D

Thanks Mim (and Uncle Elvis for being a guest judge too!)

Also, I'm throwing myself in there as a judge, but since I'm also entering, I just won't count myself.

So, your newest judge is:

ME!

The contest is called: Tina Liebt Dein Video (Und, Wenn Du Glück Hast, Auch Dich) Contest.

The winner will be based on:

1) Whatever Mim's rules are

2) My criteria, which change daily, but may or may not be limited to:
2a) how I feel when I wake up that morning
2b) what color I'm wearing
2c) how much alcohol I consumed the night before
2d) your hair
2e) the weather
2f) lots of other things that I will probably make up on the spot

The Prize:

German chocolate.

Amendment 1: Bonus points if live animals/dinosaurs appear in your video. Ultimate trump and instant victory if you catch either the Loch Ness Monster/a yeti on film, or sing with an alien.

Amendment 2: You are allowed to bypass singing so as not to frighten Nessie or the yeti away.

Amendment 3: Brownie points if you speak German somewhere in your video.

Amendment 4: Double brownie points of Nessie/the yeti/the alien also speak German.

Amendment 5: In case we're not clear, German chocolate is the best thing ever

Amendment 6: Brownie points (but not as many as in Amendment 3) if you have an accent, even if it's not real.

Amendment 7: Judge reserves the right to completely abuse judging privileges.

Amendment 8: None of these amendments are meant to be taken seriously, with the exception of the yeti.

Last edited:
Mim Will Add Random Ticket-Adding Opprotunities as She Goes Along

PROCLAMATION #1

The FIRST person to submit a video will get 5 extra tickets into the drawing!

The Second will get 4

The Third will get 3

The Fourth will get 2

The Fifth will get 1

Why?

BECAUSE I AM TOO EXCITED TO GET SOME ENTRIES IN SO I CAN BASK IN THE FUN THAT IS HEARING SHOWTUNES ON UKULELE!!!

What is that you say? Lori is judging now to and offering a uke leash?
Another judge? 4 in all?

And hoping for more?

(hint hint)

WOW!
THIS IS GONNA BE THE BEST CONTEST EVER!!!

Last edited:
What is that you say? Lori is judging now to and offering a uke leash?
Another judge? 4 in all?

And hoping for more?

(hint hint)

WOW!
THIS IS GONNA BE THE BEST CONTEST EVER!!!

Hopefully, this won't be!

Hopefully this will just be the FIRST of the best contests ever!

Hopefully this "Hold your own sub-contest" thing will become a thing here on UU.

Hopefully, this won't be!

Hopefully this will just be the FIRST of the best contests ever!

Hopefully this "Hold your own sub-contest" thing will become a thing here on UU.

Why do you like it so much?

I wonder?

Tee-hee-hee!

Honestly it is genius!
My only misgiving about holding contests is people not agreeing with the winner!
So this offers a good come back...

"You say you think someone else should have won? Did you sign up to choose the winner? No?... then you have no argument here sir."

Followed by the removal of the glove and the slap across the face like in the old Looney Tunes cartoons!

Last edited:
Why do you like it so much?

I wonder?

Tee-hee-hee!

Honestly it is genius!
My only misgiving about holding contests is people not agreeing with the winner!
So this offers a good come back...

"You say you think someone else should have won? Did you sign up to choose the winner? No?... then you have no argument here sir."

Followed by the removal of the glove and the slap across the face like in the old Looney Tunes cartoons!

Modesty forbids me from saying why I love it so much! *grin*

But, yeah... that's the whole plan.
One of the things that bums me out is that, when I started here at UU, there were lots of contests... but I sucked and was terrified to play, so didn't enter. As I got better, contests started getting ruined by people thinking it's ok and allowed for them to go off on the person running the contest because they disagree with the outcome, which, to this day, confuses me.

But this... now folks can put their money where their mouth is and say "Hey, you. You did a great job! You win MY contest. Here's a prize."

If you care enough to invest the time to post negative stuff aimed at the contest holder, you care enough to go out and invest in a prize.

Anyway... I'm talking to the cast tonight about doing something!

(Speaking of... I know it's relatively obvious, but I can't remember if it was mentioned, and scrolling up to the top is soooo harrrrrd and I don' wanna.... but did you mention that the ukulele should be prominent/involved/etc?)

oh boy! time to bust out the old 'Grease' tunes!

HA! That was my first thought, too! Had the album of the original Broadway cast and about wore it out before a roommate stole it years ago.

HA! That was my first thought, too! Had the album of the original Broadway cast and about wore it out before a roommate stole it years ago.

Which song you gonna do? I will give you 2 extra tickets if you do Sandra Dee!

Which song you gonna do? I will give you 2 extra tickets if you do Sandra Dee!

And yes, it is my perogative to bribe other people into making complete and utter fools out of themselves!!!

My entry #1 - hopefully, this will bag me the 5 extra tickets. It's a crappy video, but I had fun doing it, which is the main thing! I wanted to play it on my Eleuke, but my amp is broked, B dropped it accidentally and it'll be a while before I can replace it :(

Anyway - song is "Give My Regards To Broadway" which was in the musical "Little Johnny Jones" which was on Broadway in 1904 :D

Hope you like it :D

Enjoy!

Top Bottom