Spruce, Tacote or Red Cedar tops with Mahogany, Cedar or Walnut backs and sides ...

Uke Whisperer

Reaction score
Listening to and reading about Ukes/sound samples it appears that both Bluegrass sounding and Flamenco sounding Ukes have Spruce, Tacote or Red Cedar tops with Mahogany, Cedar or Walnut backs and sides (+ other laminate configurations). Does the combination of hard and soft woods make the distinct sounds? I hadn't noticed the similarity between the Bluegrass sound and the Flamenco sound before. Guess I will start looking for a Soprano with Concert neck version to cure this particular bout with U.A.S. -- Any specific "cure" recommendations?

Hello,

Not an expert here but I think that the style you are looking for requires a sharp attack and loudness. Spruce or cedar top combined with walnut or maple back and sides would be my choice for this style. I would also choose a low G configuration. To my understanding, maple and walnut are more "transparent" than others having a dampening effect that permits the tone from the top to be clearer; not enriched with overtones.

Top Bottom