Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Radius Dish CNC info needed

Default Radius Dish CNC info needed

I have the CNC m/c available and I'm looking for info ..So I can make Radius dishes..Up to now all machining weve done is in 2D..and I require 3D for a Radius dish ( I think)..can any one help

Ken, actually, most CNC machines work in 2.5 D...that is they go to a certain spot in the X, Y, and Z axes and then just work 2 D, move over, and work 2 D again line after line after line. It's like a scan in 2 D.

Rick I know what you're saying but.. I'm hoping someone out there will just send a ready made file...My Son Mike is slogging away learning "Alibre" and "Solidworks" 3D CAD at the moment and it will be a few days before he starts to get somewhere with it

I could ask my programmer to write the program for you but I know he'd want reimbursed. If you're interested then PM me. I think I paid around $45 for the drawing, machining and material to make a 15' dish with a 18" diameter, so I can't imagine the program would be all that much.

Progress report..Mike (Timbuck Jr) says he's got the CAD sorted, and the dish is now drawn in 3D ..and now he's working on the CAM..We could be there within the next 24 hours.

If so, please be prepared to recieve orders from the land of Vikings and eternal night...
    Building blog - http://www.argapa.blogspot.com
    Music and atrocities - http://www.goodcopbadcop.se

Solid Works is good, very good. It integrates perfectly with "Visual Mill" for developing the CAM part...tool paths, tooling, and all that for outputting G code. We use Rhino with RhinoCAM which is an adaptation of Visual Mill. Rhino has fewer features, but all we need, and it's about 20% the cost of Solid Works.

Timbuck Jr spent several hours on a CAM program he downloaded free on the web, called Meshcam ..and he got a lot of problems with it and gave up (He do's all this stuff without any manuals or anything "completly self taught".. My brain can't do that ) ..I will recomend " Visual Mill" as per Rick and see how he gets on with that....He's not learning this stuff for my benefit..it's for his own business, he needs to make some new molds for forming plastics on his latest creation in "Electronic Drums"..and the Radius dish is a nice easy shape to start with.
    Last edited by Timbuck; 10-05-2011 at 10:48 PM.

Success at last..Number one Son..has got it sorted....I asked for a boat curve 10ft Rad across by 5ft-2" Rad lengthwise so I can radius sand the backs of my sopranos with confidence...We dug out an old scrap piece of kitchen worktop to practice on..now we know it can be done i'll buy some decent MDF and make a decent one...The CAD used is "Solidworks" and the CAM is "ArtSoft Mach3"...It would be very difficult to make this without CNC
    Here is the 3D drawing

Here is the CNC in action

Here is the roughed out sample.
    Last edited by Timbuck; 10-13-2011 at 06:50 AM.

I radius dish is so easy to make by fabricating a sled for your router. Don't need no stinking CNC.
    Chuck Moore
    Moore Bettah Ukuleles
    http://www.moorebettahukes.com

Thread Information