Idea for builders /Fretboard wood option?

tonewood

Reaction score
Kiawe [mesquite] I would think would be a great fretboard material especially for the builders in Hawaii or Texas. Easily attainable. Very hard /dense. Really tight grain. Indestructable. Rich beautiful colors. Finishes up sweet after oiling. I have a bunch of kiawe that I cut for flooring that looks very much like rosewood. Just a thought.

I do use kiawe occasionally and you're right, it makes a good fret board. We also have ohia wood here that would work as well. Unlike what you may have where you are, both the kiawe and ohia we have here are rather boring to look at. I've seen mainland kiawe that was red, here it's light blond/tan. Unfortunately neither of these local woods offer the visual contrast that either ebony or rosewood does.

I've been thinking about this for a while now and I'm going to do a little research into 3D printing. I know it's just a matter of time, One day in the future, materials which luthiers covet will be printed and you won't be able to tell the difference, same cell structure, color, tap tone and all. I would think ebony, Brazilian rosewood, koa and mahogany would be at the top of the list.

Last edited:
Top Bottom