Clear Flurocarbon Strings: What is your favorite brand?

Doc_J

Reaction score
I’ve been using Worth Clears (CM, CD) for several years, and like them a lot. Then I tried Southcoast Mediums this summer on a uke that formerly had Worth CMs. I liked the sound from the Southcoast strings better than the Worth CMs.

Last week I finally tried Martin Flurocarbon Strings on a new-to-me uke. These also have a very nice sound, but I have not tried other strings on this uke. So I can’t really compare. The Martin Strings seem just a bit harder than the CM or Southcoast strings.

All these FC strings have some similarities, but I think the Southcoast strings are a bit brighter with very even sound across the all strings, and thus are my favorite. But I will probably keep a set Worth CMs and Martin FC around.

Do you have any preferences (for or against) in clear flurocarbon strings?

Or do you think they are all about the same?

( Or are one of those folks who think FC strings are best used as fishing line. :) )

I really like the Martin M600s on my ukes. Recently tried Worth CMs for my low G and really like those a lot too - haven't tried them in reentrant yet but would like to. Still think I'd favor the Martins though, I prefer the feel of them.

I've used both Martin M600s and Worth CMs. I like both, but the Martins have the advantage of being easy to find in a lot of areas (not in MY town, mind you, but I've bought them not too far away- 60 miles or so). I had to order the Worths from Elderly. I think both brands sound good. I haven't tried them both on the same ukulele though, but I've compared them directly on different ukes. I think they both feel and play equally well.

I've been using Worth CMs. I've tried Martins as well. I like them, too; they sound similar to me. I've also used Worth CD, hard tension and Worth browns. These are considerably louder than the CMs. They seem to be made3 of a harder material though, so they are a little hard o n the hands. To my ears, the browns don't sound much different than the clears. I've just tried Fremonts, for about an hour and didn't care for them. They sounded a little boxy to me. Oops, I guess you specified you want to compare only clear strings.

I plan to try the Southcoast strings.

Try the worth heavies. I love the high tension, it's on all my ukes.

( Or are one of those folks who think FC strings are best used as fishing line. :) )

Many fluorocarbon strings are fishing line.

Many fluorocarbon strings are fishing line.

I've heard some folks use Seaguar Fluorocarbon Line. Earlier threads here on UU have given the test rating for each string size. One of my ukes came with fishing line rather than an official brand, and they seemed to work and sound fine. Although, I thought they were a bit soft and had to be replaced faster than Worth CMs. The fishing line picked up indents from the frets rather quickly.

Does anyone on UU use and prefer a particular fishing line?

Does anyone on UU use and prefer a particular fishing line?
I'm sure I remember someone on UU describing a particular fishing line (somehow I seem to remember that this was in Japan), the where, what and how in a thread three-quarters of a year ago.

-Tor

It was Seaguars. I sent quite a but of time looking into it and realized that the smallest amount you can order anywhere is around 25 yds at an average cost of $20 a spool, so you're looking at $100 in string. If you have a lot of ukes in the same size that might be worth it. Here's the types you need for various Worth sets based on the diameters listed from Seaguar/Worth:
Worth CL
G - FC 30
C - FC 60
E - FC 50
A - FP 30

Worth CM
Low G - FC 90
G - FP 40
C - FC 60
E - FC 50
A - FC 30

Worth CT
Low G - FC 90
G - FC 40
C - FC 60
E - FC 50
A - FP 40

Last edited:
I love Martin Clear Flurocarbons. They have a clear crystalline sound that I enjoy. They keep their brilliance for a long time too.
Ernest

Worth Clear Mediums for me, but the Southcoast strings definitely sound pretty good too. I just picked up a set of Worth Clear "Fats" that I'm looking forward to trying out.

My favorite "brand" is my own sets made from Seaguar fishing leaders. They are basically identical to a Worth CM set except for the E string which is a slightly different size.

John

Top Bottom