Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: whats the difference between the different types of ukes?

Default whats the difference between the different types of ukes?

im looking to get a new uke and i cant decide on what a beginner should buy; concert, tenor or something else. any advice?
    STEEZY DOES IT

depends on what you plan on doing with it, like what kind of music would you play would you strum and sing or just pluck or do both etc

i mainly just strum and sing. so what do you prefer?
    STEEZY DOES IT

i prefer tenor for what I do. if its just strumming and singing then a tenor with low G i think would tickle your fancy

Its all gonna be personal preference, we cant really make the decision. Learn a couple chords, head to your local shop, and play a couple of them see what feels best for you. All the sizes you can strum and sing along with.

Im not a big fan of the low tuned G. I think it takes away a little bit of the unique sound of the uke. but thats just my opinion.

I have a concert and I like it because its smaller and I can play it at my desk.
    I want to get a soprano flea since i travel a lot now for work since they are smaller and more durable.
    I want eventually a solid wood tenor for playing daily.
    Last edited by Nurdaben; 09-07-2008 at 07:58 AM.
    Nurdaben (nrd - ah - bin)
    check out my Youtube or Facebook
    i ♥ ♪♫♪

oh and where abouts in cali do ya live?
    Nurdaben (nrd - ah - bin)
    check out my Youtube or Facebook
    i ♥ ♪♫♪

Quote Originally Posted by Nurdaben View Post
    Learn a couple chords, head to your local shop, and play a couple of them see what feels best for you. All the sizes you can strum and sing along with.
    Probably the best advice you can get if you are able to get to a store that sells 'ukuleles. For a lot of people, they know right away what they want as soon as they pick it up and try it out the first time.
    - Chuck
    I spend too much time YouTubing.

What everone you start with won't be your last....

Alot of people like the Concert size to start with it seems.
    To me the Tenor has a deeper voice (hmmmm Tenor)
    The Soprano... well it is a ukulele!!!!
    Concerts close to the Soprano sound but with more room on the fret board for the fingers.

I prefer the Soprano, I have 2 and am ordering my third (and when I find enough pennys I want a Kamaka Soprano) . I do have a Concert and 2 Tenors that I play alot (one High G and one Low g).
    Ukulele, the most fun I've had being bad at something!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ukesteezy View Post
    im looking to get a new uke and i cant decide on what a beginner should buy; concert, tenor or something else. any advice?
    I'd go with a concert to begin with. It's big enough to fret properly but not too big that you may have to stretch to make some chords (which a tenor could be). As Freedive said this won't be your last uke! I love my concert but am finding it too small to play higher notes properly so I'm saving up for a tenor. I still have tonnes of fun with it.

I agree with Chuck that the best thing to do would be to go to a shop that sells them and check the best size for you. If you can't do that go with the concert.

Whatever you get you'll be really pleased.

P.S I recommend the Lanikai LU-21C uke!

Quote Originally Posted by upskydowncloud View Post
    I'd go with a concert to begin with. It's big enough to fret properly...
    I hate this logic. Lots of people, regardless of size, manage to fret a soprano properly. If it's your first instrument, you're gonna get used to it really quick-- I know I did, it's still my preferred size, though I have everything but a baritone, now.

The only uke I've ever seen that's "too small to fret properly" is this one, and even that one you could make a song on, if the song's something like C, A min, C, A min...

Thread Information