E string jumping off nut (Kala KA-S)

dsuanmn

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I bought my Kala KA-S about 6 months ago and for the last few months I've been having a problem with my E string jumping out of its slot in the nut. It only occurs when finger picking and the closer the string is picked to the saddle, or the harder I pick, the higher the chance of it jumping. I understand whats physically happening but am unsure how to stop it. I don't feel like I'm playing it too hard.

The dreaded TWANGGG *reposition string* whilst playing is starting to get old.

Is this something that happens with lots of ukuleles?
Is the E slot in my nut wide/deep enough?
Or is the Kala KA-S too entry level? (everything else about it seems great)

Any suggestions on how to fix this little problem?

Here's a little demonstration video:

I look forward to any help, in the mean time I'll keep playing :)

Sam

What kind of strings are you using, and does it look like the string is seated properly in the nut?

My guess is that new strings are the answer, other than that a new nut. Money on the strings. :)

I would take a small finger nail file and make a few passes in the nut slot . Make sure you file at the same angel as the head stock
Don't file to much a few passes and check it and more if needed if you go to far you will get a string buzz

I'm using the stock Aquila nylgut strings. The E string seems to be just as seated as the other strings but this is my first uke so I'm not exactly sure what a good seating looks like.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Looks like the string may not be on the tuner the most optimum way. You want the string wound on the tuner starting from the top and working down, so the string is near the bottom of the tuner. This will give it more down force over the nut, and many ukes don't have a lot of tilt in the headstock so you need all the help you can get.

I might be wrong but it looks like your E string is connecting with the tuner very near the top of the tuner shaft.

Just something to check before panicking. :)

Edited: Never mind, I just took my glasses off and looked a little closer at the video - looks like it's wound correctly after all. That's popping out way too easily. My guess (2nd guess :) ) is the nut slot is either not deep enough or the low side of the slot has either chipped or was rounded or angled too much to begin with.

Last edited:
I just took my glasses off and looked a little closer at the video - looks like it's wound correctly after all.

Yeah, it is definitely wound down and to the inside. The slot looks to be symmetrical and the same as the C string slot, however, if I stare at the two slots long enough I start to see differences but as soon as I blink they're gone again :p

Thanks for the help guys.

I'd also check to see if the nut slot has been cut too far back on the nut.....I've read several posts about that issue. May need to bring the slot ever so slightly forward (toward the fretboard)

Thanks for the advice everyone, but I might leave it as is because I'm a bit paranoid that any incorrect nut modifications might make it worse.

Top Bottom