Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fremont Blacklines for Soprano: Hard or Medium?

I just thought of something. You could save a few bucks by buying a set of sop/con mediums and a set of tenors, skipping the sop/con hards, because you'll have all of the different gauges of A and G strings available. To reproduce the hard set use the med G string as the A string, and use the tenor A string as the G string. The Ukulele Site has the specs.

I agree w Bill1. Try both.
    Martin Sopranos: 0M: 30, 64 ---
    1M: 22Dit, 23Dit, 24Dit, 49, 55--1K 26
    2M: 22, 23Dit, 23Dit, 49, 60, 12 --- 2K: 25, 12
    3M: 25, 48, 55x2, 12(ch) 3K: 29
    The Gibsons: Styles 2&3 28;1&2&3x3 27;UB1 25
    Tonk American 28; Favilla 55; Smeck Vita 30; Kamaka Gold Deluxe 60
    Kiwaya Thinline KS-0P Soprano; Gretsch American 30
    Covered Bridge Honduran Hog tenor
    Pono Maple Tenor, BE Acacia Bari & MS Sop

Quote Originally Posted by seesar View Post
    I just thought of something. You could save a few bucks by buying a set of sop/con mediums and a set of tenors, skipping the sop/con hards, because you'll have all of the different gauges of A and G strings available. To reproduce the hard set use the med G string as the A string, and use the tenor A string as the G string. The Ukulele Site has the specs.
    Interesting analysis, Seesar! Now, please don't think I'm being antagonistic, as that isn't my intention, but in my experience the Fremont Blackline hard tension set is distinguishable, and desirable, not so much by its individual string gauges, as by a certain "texture" that they seem to have; it's hard to put into words, but I'd maybe describe it as a more "solid" feel than other sets. I'd also give them high marks in the categories of consistently-good intonation, and durability.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Sheehan View Post
    Interesting analysis, Seesar! Now, please don't think I'm being antagonistic, as that isn't my intention, but in my experience the Fremont Blackline hard tension set is distinguishable, and desirable, not so much by its individual string gauges, as by a certain "texture" that they seem to have; it's hard to put into words, but I'd maybe describe it as a more "solid" feel than other sets. I'd also give them high marks in the categories of consistently-good intonation, and durability.
    I don't know this for a fact, and someone is free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I think all Blackline strings (tenor, sop/con medium and sop/con hard) are the same material, and the only thing that distinguishes them is gauge. So all models have the same E and C strings, .027 and .031 inch diameters. Sop/con medium A and G strings have a lighter gauge then sop/con hards. And you'll find that different models have the same gauge for different strings, for example, the tenor A string is the same as the sop/con medium G string, .023 inch diameter. And if you're wondering if Blackline sop/con strings are long enough for a tenor, in my experience, the answer is yes.

Quote Originally Posted by seesar View Post
    I don't know this for a fact, and someone is free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I think all Blackline strings (tenor, sop/con medium and sop/con hard) are the same material, and the only thing that distinguishes them is gauge. So all models have the same E and C strings, .027 and .031 inch diameters. Sop/con medium A and G strings have a lighter gauge then sop/con hards. And you'll find that different models have the same gauge for different strings, for example, the tenor A string is the same as the sop/con medium G string, .023 inch diameter. And if you're wondering if Blackline sop/con strings are long enough for a tenor, in my experience, the answer is yes.
    Point well-taken! That does make sense!

Thread Information