Luthier Books, Videos, other resources

dnewton2

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could recommend any books, videos, etc about luthiery. (sp?) I know I could google or get on amazon and find books and stuff but I was wanting to hear from people that have acctually used the reasource.

I want to someday build myself a ukulele or two, but right now I don't have much room in my apartment for this kind of project, so I thought I might do so reasearch/studying before I jump in.

Pete I have seen your videos on youtube, very cool.

I think we have a thread in Uke Talk but I am to lazy to search for it and this is probably a better section for this kind of infromation.

A good book to have... Hana Lima 'Ia Ukulele Construction. CLICK HERE

manual04.jpg

Poi Dog is right on mark with the Hanalima Manual. It is an excellent blow by blow detail of making a tenor ukulele in the spanish heel style. This means the neck and the heel are all one piece (except for maybe a scarf joint at the headstock) and the sides are let into the neck heel. This style also requires attaching the top first. I use a bolt on method of joining the neck to the body. This manual is all you really need to get started but I would also recommend William Cumpiano's book "Guitar Making Tradition and Technology" if you want a broader base of techniques and principles for guitar making that can be carried over to ukulele building. Here is a link to the book.

http://www.amazon.com/Guitarmaking-Tradition-Technology-Construction-Steel-String/dp/0811806405

Thanks Poi Dog and Dom. I have read about the hana lima book somewhere else in the forum and it is always good stuff. I'll definatly have that around should I ever get around to attempting a build. In the mean time I might spend some time reading the guitar building book.

Yes, I agree with Poi Dog and Dom, I currently own the Hana Lima Manual, and it has everything that you need to build an ukulele on your own, it is how I built my first ukulele( and I completed it without any one showing me, just me and the book). I am now building my next 2 ukuleles, and I refer to the manual often to make sure that I am doing it right.
I have checked out two other ukulele building books from the library, and I can safely tell you not to waste your time.
The Hana Lima book is the best, and fullest on he market.
One other thing that I can suggest to anyone that is interested in building ukuleles is to check out the Hana Lima Ia building forum ( www.hanalima.com ). It has thousands of members ( including Dominator and Myself ) who are happy to answer all of your building questions, no matter how seamingly small. I asked for the help of the forum members a lot on my first build.
Good luck
Bob

Top Bottom