Banjolele specific strum/ picking/ styles

aehalt

Reaction score
just made a banjolele which I will make a full post on later this month, but i've been trying to emphasize the specific tones i can only achieve from this banjo into a style. any suggestions?

or any songs that sound especially good on it.

this little number sounds pretty good, can't remember the name of it:

0232-0232-0121-slide-0232-0200-h/o-0202-0200-0202-slide-4445-0232-0545-0434-0323- repeat

screw around with the timing as some of those can take a couple strums to get a rythym but it sounds kinda old timey especially at the end

Not sure of what song it is. I've been working on my banjo uke trying to play it dixieland style which is usually done on a tenor or plectrum banjo. I've been practicing sliding from one chord to the same chord different inversion some times throwing in a fast triplet during the slide. Is that the kind of thing you were thinking about?

You might want to research triplets and fan strokes. They are quite popular with the Formby crowd. Also, 3-finger rolls taken directly from true banjo playing are very popular. I use 3-finger rolls on every instrument I play now, except maybe the Tiple :p

I am just finishing refurbishing an old Birdseye Maple Maybell with a closed back that was really under the weather when I got it. For test flights, I use the olde standard Five Foot Two, I know what I think it is suppose to sound like so I have a reference. Dr Uke .com has a multi-key version of this posted in his song library.

How are you tuning, I am using stand uku tuning?

i'm using a wound low G on my home made concert banjolele. i'm not sure how i feel about it because i'm not low G on any of my other ukuleles so it's a little strange.

5 foot 2 sounds incredible, that fast paced chords changing fast is what i'm looking for. just something that keeps rhythym and sounds good on the banjo uke. it can really be harsh and it doesnt have a lot of sustain so my song selection is just completely different.

i need to take another look at dueling banjos that Woodshed arranged on Ukehunt.com. the solo at the end might be somehting worthwhile.

i just wanted songs taht if i pick up the banjo uke it sounds like i know what to do with a banjo, even though it's really a ukulele. if that makes any sense.

Formby style

Ha...that's not me playing, I have the strokes down, but not at that speed for that length of time?
(Doe's that sound rude or is it just me???)

To the majority of British people that is the sound of a ukulele!
A friend summed it up nicely:

Hawaii style: Gentle, fingerpicks, to be played on a sandy beach with waves for accompanyment.
UK Style: To be played in noisy pub with drunks for accompanyment!

Split stroke is basically Triplet Triplet 7 8....accenting the 1st 4th & 7th beat.

Here's a terrible wee vid I made a few years back:

I don't really like the bluegrassy fingerpicky stuff....just get a banjo already.

Also I think a banjo-uke without a resonator/backplate looks cheap and unfinished.
This is how I think they should look:
LUDWIG1.jpg
That's a LUDWIG

I'm trying to find the Dueling Banjos arrangement that you mentioned on Ukehunt, but I'm not getting anywhere. Could you help me find it? Thanks.

QUOTE=aehalt;812768]i'm using a wound low G on my home made concert banjolele. i'm not sure how i feel about it because i'm not low G on any of my other ukuleles so it's a little strange.

5 foot 2 sounds incredible, that fast paced chords changing fast is what i'm looking for. just something that keeps rhythym and sounds good on the banjo uke. it can really be harsh and it doesnt have a lot of sustain so my song selection is just completely different.

i need to take another look at dueling banjos that Woodshed arranged on Ukehunt.com. the solo at the end might be somehting worthwhile.

i just wanted songs taht if i pick up the banjo uke it sounds like i know what to do with a banjo, even though it's really a ukulele. if that makes any sense.[/QUOTE]

I'm trying to find the Dueling Banjos arrangement that you mentioned on Ukehunt, but I'm not getting anywhere. Could you help me find it? Thanks.

QUOTE=aehalt;812768]i'm using a wound low G on my home made concert banjolele. i'm not sure how i feel about it because i'm not low G on any of my other ukuleles so it's a little strange.

i just wanted songs taht if i pick up the banjo uke it sounds like i know what to do with a banjo, even though it's really a ukulele. if that makes any sense.
[/QUOTE]
http://ukulelehunt.com/2010/10/28/dueling-banjoes-tab/

Top Bottom