Nails or No Nails? That is the question...

dans003

Reaction score
Hi,

I currently have a rather awesome set of nails, but would like to play more bass. Should I:
a) remove all my nails, and play uke with a plectrum / fingers
b) remove my two bass-picking nails, and suffer the consequences for uke (not quite sure what those would be
or c) keep all my nails and make do with bass / IF ABSOLUTELY NEEDED use a plectrum on bass.

Thanks,
dans

How long are these nails?

I think playing instruments is more fun than having awesome nails. If it were me, I would trim whatever got in the way of me playing. If you don't mind scratching up your uke, and you can still manage to play it, well that's your call.

–Lori

How long are these nails?

I think playing instruments is more fun than having awesome nails. If it were me, I would trim whatever got in the way of me playing. If you don't mind scratching up your uke, and you can still manage to play it, well that's your call.

–Lori

The nails are the right length to play uke, but the trouble is that when i play bass they get in the way. I get a really nice sound out of my ukes at this length, but going shorter doesnt sound as nice... but i want to get a nice sound outa basses as well...

I keep my nails trimmed, and don't play bass. Wish I could play bass though.

The nails are the right length to play uke, but the trouble is that when i play bass they get in the way. I get a really nice sound out of my ukes at this length, but going shorter doesnt sound as nice... but i want to get a nice sound outa basses as well...

Get a U-Bass.

–Lori

I keep my nails at a very close length, to keep the sound. I can easily tell when my nails are too long, because they have a "clang" kind of sound on the bass. I would keep your nails as long as tolerable to compensate for uke playing too, but look at shortening them somewhat.

there's nothing wrong with playing bass with a pick. I use a pick at least 50% of the time and bass is my main instrument, fwiw. even using a pick you can get different tones from a bass, it just depends on where your right hand is positioned.

Thanks everyone! I think I'll keep my nails long enough that I can play uke nicely, but short enough that (at least for index and middle fingers) they can play bass well.

A pick is also a possibility, I just dont particularly like not being able to properly feel the notes...
dans

Top Bottom