Elderly String Sale

I just bought a couple packs of worths using the code. It took off about $5.

I bought a set of worth clears for tenor and a set of the heavy clears. I loved worths on my kanilea, this,will be my first time trying them on my koaloha sc. Pretty exciting.

wouldn't you know that I stocked up literally last week from them. Bastids!

Dang it, so did I. Just got my package with all my strings yesterday. Oh well, it was still a heck of a lot cheaper than going to any local music stores.

Dan

Yup, Mahalo Nui for the heads up too...was thinking before to get some strings..now sounds like the right time...

Perfect timing on this. I saw the email from Elderly, and I'm in the process of trying to find out which strings would be best on my Kanile'a. I figure out of a range of Worth Clears, Worth Browns, Fremont Blacklines, Martin clears, and Southcoast (not bought from Elderly) I'd better be able to get the right fit!

Dang it, so did I. Just got my package with all my strings yesterday. Oh well, it was still a heck of a lot cheaper than going to any local music stores.

Dan

I don't know what your local music stores are charging, but its awfully hard for me classify $14-$15 as "cheap" for what amounts to 20-foot of fluorocarbon fishing line, and by the time you add the shipping charges, its pushing the envelope for me. I can do better locally.

Not sure where you live, Flea, but for me (in LA) Elderly - even with shipping - is loads cheaper.

For example, I picked up one set of soprano Martin clears at a local music shop in the 310 area code. The cost was $10 for the set, plus tax, coming to about $11. One set. At Elderly that set costs $4.55. So, if I were to get three sets at the store, I'd be out $33, but going to Elderly it would be $20 (shipping included).

Other sets have similar price discrepancies.

If you're lucky enough to live in a place with affordable strings, good for you.

I don't know what your local music stores are charging, but its awfully hard for me classify $14-$15 as "cheap" for what amounts to 20-foot of fluorocarbon fishing line, and by the time you add the shipping charges, its pushing the envelope for me. I can do better locally.

Well, locally Aquila strings are $7.99 plus 10.25% tax. Elderly, they are $5.20, and because I am just a four hour drive from them, shipping is very little. I ordered three sets of aquila strings at $5.20 each instead of $7.99 each plus sales tax. Mandolin strings, 3 sets of Martins for $11.85 instead of the $8.50 plus tax a piece around me. And since I had to order other strings for other instruments, I spent around $50, so they even shipped them for free.

So, I probably got all my strings and saved roughly 30%, and that's without their sale

Dan

At Elderly that set costs $4.55.

Again, it depends on where you live and what strings you're playing. None of the sets of uke strings that I've ever purchased at Elderly (e.g., Worth, Aquila, etc.) were under $12.00 per set (most were over $14.00), and the shipping charges are typically 1/2 the cost of a set (another $6.00). Its apples and oranges.

Again, it depends on where you live and what strings you're playing. None of the sets of uke strings that I've ever purchased at Elderly (e.g., Worth, Aquila, etc.) were under $12.00 per set (most were over $14.00), and the shipping charges are typically 1/2 the cost of a set (another $6.00). Its apples and oranges.

But it's not apples & oranges. At least not for me. At a local store Martin Clears for a soprano were $10 plus tax a set. At Elderly it is half that price. It's as apples to apples as one can get. Worth Brown for a tenor at Elderly is $14.55 a set. At the local store they are $21 a set. Again, it's the same product at two places at different prices.

How is this not a straight comparison?

This means if I buy two or more sets of strings, I save by going with Elderly. It isn't an opinion, it's math.

Perhaps for you it is a different situation. But I'm not mixing brands or types here. Apples to apples.

When the only uke strings I can even get locally are Martin Fluorocarbon, the Elderly prices are pretty darn good - even before the 20% discount.

And at $5.25 USPS Priority to ship 4 sets, it beats the cost of gas and sales tax.

-Kurt​

If you can, support your local music store. Otherwise they will become extinct like the neighborhood bookstores, hardware stores, pharmacy, etc. If saving $10 is crucial to your budget, buy online but if you value your local economy, support mom and pop stores.

I'm lucky to have many locally owned superb music stores and I want them to stay around.

Just sayin.......not trying to start an argument.

Last edited:
Perhaps for you it is a different situation.

Look, I'm not sure why this is turning into such a heavy-lift here, but I said what I said, and I stand by what I said, because what I said applied to ME! O.K.? It was MY opinion based on MY location and MY string choice. I don't live in L.A. and I don't play $5 Martin's, O.K.?

Are we clear?

What isn't clear is WHERE you can get such a deal! Many of us don't have your choices, but would buy local if we did - or possibly by phone/email from YOUR source.

I don't live in LA. Nor do I play $5 Martins, but if I want to buy local, Martin are my only choice.

I can't even get my local shop to order any other brand of uke strings, and they want $9.99 for the Martins.

If the string sale at Elderly sucks that badly, point us in a better direction, instead of just saying it sucks.

NOW we should be clear.

-Kurt​

Flea: I'm sorry I was misunderstood. I grew up in Michigan and absolutely love Elderly. I do buy from them and find them to be an exceptionally reputable and honest business. I have no hesitation buying from them because they stand behind what they sell.

I probably shouldn't have jumped into this discussion which, after all is a discussion about strings.

Look, I'm not sure why this is turning into such a heavy-lift here, but I said what I said, and I stand by what I said, because what I said applied to ME! O.K.? It was MY opinion based on MY location and MY string choice. I don't live in L.A. and I don't play $5 Martin's, O.K.?

Are we clear?

Sheesh. Someone is a bit grumpy today.

Look, I'm really ecstatic that you live in such a paradise where you can play your not $5 Martins. Yay for you. The parade is on the way, as I am sure are all the congratulatory letters.

However, your claim was simply ludicrous from the very start, and all I wanted to do was point out that for some folks, perhaps going the way of an online store was a better option. Or was that too Apples and Oranges for you?

How about this, I'll just admit you were right all along and agree that (as you said), "its awfully hard [to] classify $14-$15 as "cheap" for what amounts to 20-foot of fluorocarbon fishing line"

And, of course, I'll ignore that the only strings that approach that cost at Elderly are the Worths, or that those run for $20 or more locally. You know, cause I'd hate to bring even other species of fruit into this.

Are we clear?

Flea: I'm sorry I was misunderstood. I grew up in Michigan and absolutely love Elderly. I do buy from them and find them to be an exceptionally reputable and honest business. I have no hesitation buying from them because they stand behind what they sell.

Jack,

No-no, no worries, but my thanks for the sentiments, and yes, I agree, Elderly is a perfectly reputable establishment - never had an issue with them.

How about this, I'll just admit you were right all along and agree that (as you said), "its awfully hard [to] classify $14-$15 as "cheap" for what amounts to 20-foot of fluorocarbon fishing line."

Bingo! Now you're catchin' on, mate!

Flea Flicker.... if you are referring to the Worth florocarbon, I think that they come in double length sets....
so....
your $15 buys 2 $7.50 sets of Worths. (just sayin' in case you didint know they are double lengths)

I just paid $8.95, for ONE set of Fremont florocarbons at a local music shop. I prefer to kep my $$$ local....when I can.

Elderly reg price Aquila tenor $5.20 (-%20= $4.04)....Local yesterday = $9.95.....(one set)...my money stayed local.

Just sayin' ...

Last edited:
Top Bottom