Low G Baritone Strings (GCEA) Options?

Sounds like you found everything O.K. Two plain sets - different tensions - a double wound LML and single wound LL (different tensions again).

As far as price, remember this thread started 5 years ago. I'm sure the $8.25 set then is the LL-NW set - $10.00 now as you noted. Wound strings add cost in and of themselves, then take into account that all our wounds strings are polished (more cost) and finally that there are two different ways we polish. With some material we do a very large scale method, with other material we have to use a slower small batch method that's more costly. You can easily see which is which.

And finally as far as heavier gauges, we have them, of course, but heavier gauges will mean a lower tuning. Remember that if you're going to always tune to the same key (C in this instance) that to keep the same relative tension, you'll need heavier gauges as the scale gets shorter, lighter gauges as it gets longer. So - 20" scale - longer than 17", for example; then if both are tuned to C and tension is kept the same, the 20" scale will need lighter gauges.

That's what you saw on the little clickable tension charts.

HI Dirk, Thanks. missed that the earlier thread was old. Will try one of those sets and see how I like it.

Reviving this thread and much appreciate the discussion of string tension on the Southcoastuke site - I play baroque instruments and it paralleled the discussion of string tension on those sites. However what I don't get is which octave I can tune my baritone to with which string set. I'd like to get GCEA an octave down from tenor and then drop the A so it's just a second from the G. Or GceA which I know you sell but which octave on a 20" baritone? And which string tension would you recommend to achieve this? Also, separate question, are you looking into loaded strings like the Aquila reds in order to avoid the would strings? (I'd love to get away from wound strings).

Thanks for a terrific site!

It looks like Southcoast has simplified their website since this thread was started. I have a vintage Regent baritone ukulele, I recently got for $20, had a friend install a nut and a set of tenor low GCEA strings, but the tension is way too tight and the tuners won't hold, even the "new" bargain friction tuners I had on hand. Thinking of putting on some Grover geared tuners.

Anyway, looks like this is what I need...http://southcoastukes.com/csets-bar.htm

I'm wondering if there are other options for baritone GCEA low G tuning, since I don't play DGBE...

Mahalo! :shaka: Hau'oli Makahiki Hou...

I do not see any interest to set up a baritone in low G. The standard tune of a baritone is Low D (DGBE), why do you want to tune it in GCEA ?

I tried linear GCEA once on a baritone and the tension was uncomfortably high. It sounds weak and crappy too.
If I read Southcoast’s site correctly, linear Bb Or A might be the way to go. Then you can always capo up 2 or 3 frets if you’re playing with others.

I have Living Waters high D strings on a laminate Ohana baritone that sound really, really good.

I have to second, or third, the advice about forgetting about the whole GCEA thing. Just get a good DBGE set of strings (I use Southcoast's LML-NW, Light medium Gauge) and play that baritone like it is a soprano. I've had my baritone for quite some time now and I have never looked at a single baritone resource. I just play it like my other ukuleles. Of course, I am not playing in the key I think I'm playing in...but it sounds the same--albeit at a lower pitch.

I restore a lot of older baritones(harmonys/Silvertones-19" scale) and string about 50% of them to low-GCEA for clients that want to play the same chords/patterns/music sheets with their ukulele groups and have found that using the DG from an Aquila wound baritone set and pair that up with the EA from an Aquila Nylgut soprano set..gives you a good set of strings with decent tension across the board and not too tight.(put the strings in the same position they are intended for..meaning the DGBE set D string for the first G and the G string in the C position,when stringing/tuning to GCEA.The soprano E as E and the soprano A as A).I DON'T use the Aquila Baritone set made for GCEA. Those nylgut strings are the same size as concert set strings in the upper half..and have WAY TOO MUCH TENSION(Aquila..If you are reading this..PLEASE make up a special GCEA two wound set with the smaller soprano EA strings..and no reds..it'll be a hot seller!..thank you!).The smaller soprano A string(around .020-.022?..don't go above the .022A for A,you'll break it!) takes a little time to settle in so take your time going up a bit at a time to reach the A..you may want to lightly prestretch it while putting it on...and it'll tune/play nicely once it reaches that level with good tone and volume.I use the soprano E because it feels more like the A and they play well as a pair..
I do have one friend that does break an occasional A string...but he does a lot of string stretching while playing..but also does get people asking him "Wow..is that a Martin?" at the same time..on a 1950s Silvertone that I modified slightly( handsanded/thinned the top about 20%,dropped the action,bridge,saddle,recut the head to that shape,new tuners,and refinished the thing,removing the Silvertone label in the process.He asked if I could replace the label after I did it..but now is happy I removed it due to all the compliments about how it plays.
Someone brought me a couple of string sets to put on his new baritone(the baritone was a Mele..or Pono?).. and a brochure about their string sets from the company(not Mele or Pono) he bought them from online..where EVERY GCEA set listed on there said "High Tension" in the "features" sections of the string set description..They weren't kidding..unplayable in my opinion!I told him what to expect if I did put them on for him and put them on ..no charge.The guy agreed about the tension,but wouldn't listen to what I told him to use,returned his baritone to the store, and went back to a tenor..playing right alongside one I restored that is playing GCEA at the local meets.Some people don't want to learn,I guess.

Last edited:
Out of Business?

I've got a baritone on the way and plan to re-string her GCEA (low G)...
...what are my options?
I've heard a lot about Southcoast Uke strings, but their site isn't that clear (they really should dumb-it-down. If they are reading these posts, IMO it takes too much thought to order any of their strings)
Does Aquila make a set? Any others?

I think Southcoast is no longer in business. Their contact information does not even work. I wish they were because they have some good options.

This thread is so confusing. I think only one response mentioned the octave this is supposed to be in. Soprano to tenor size are tuned in GCEA so does the OP want the baritone to be the same or one octave lower?

Baritone tuning with C strings

I restore a lot of older baritones(harmonys/Silvertones-19" scale) and string about 50% of them to low-GCEA for clients that want to play the same chords/patterns/music sheets with their ukulele groups and have found that using the DG from an Aquila wound baritone set and pair that up with the EA from an Aquila Nylgut soprano set..gives you a good set of strings with decent tension across the board and not too tight.(put the strings in the same position they are intended for..meaning the DGBE set D string for the first G and the G string in the C position,when stringing/tuning to GCEA.The soprano E as E and the soprano A as A).I DON'T use the Aquila Baritone set made for GCEA. Those nylgut strings are the same size as concert set strings in the upper half..and have WAY TOO MUCH TENSION(Aquila..If you are reading this..PLEASE make up a special GCEA two wound set with the smaller soprano EA strings..and no reds..it'll be a hot seller!..thank you!).The smaller soprano A string(around .020-.022?..don't go above the .022A for A,you'll break it!) takes a little time to settle in so take your time going up a bit at a time to reach the A..you may want to lightly prestretch it while putting it on...and it'll tune/play nicely once it reaches that level with good tone and volume.I use the soprano E because it feels more like the A and they play well as a pair..
I do have one friend that does break an occasional A string...but he does a lot of string stretching while playing..but also does get people asking him "Wow..is that a Martin?" at the same time..on a 1950s Silvertone that I modified slightly( handsanded/thinned the top about 20%,dropped the action,bridge,saddle,recut the head to that shape,new tuners,and refinished the thing,removing the Silvertone label in the process.He asked if I could replace the label after I did it..but now is happy I removed it due to all the compliments about how it plays.
Someone brought me a couple of string sets to put on his new baritone(the baritone was a Mele..or Pono?).. and a brochure about their string sets from the company(not Mele or Pono) he bought them from online..where EVERY GCEA set listed on there said "High Tension" in the "features" sections of the string set description..They weren't kidding..unplayable in my opinion!I told him what to expect if I did put them on for him and put them on ..no charge.The guy agreed about the tension,but wouldn't listen to what I told him to use,returned his baritone to the store, and went back to a tenor..playing right alongside one I restored that is playing GCEA at the local meets.Some people don't want to learn,I guess.

I would not think if you used the Aquila soprano strings for (E,A) that your length would be long enough to fit a baritone. It is even getting harder to get info from the local stores as to the diameter of the strings. I did find some ghs strings that has the 1st string at .022 for the A. The LaBella group makes a set with the E at .032 and the A at .022 for a soprano but not sure if the length would be long enough for a baritone. May have to contact LaBella.

This thread is so confusing. I think only one response mentioned the octave this is supposed to be in. Soprano to tenor size are tuned in GCEA so does the OP want the baritone to be the same or one octave lower?

I would think one octave lower but you have a very good question. I guess I will have to do some investigation myself because yes it is a little confusing. Glad I am not the only one questioning this one. I figured right off the bat that the soprano strings would be too short anyway to be used on the baritone but maybe not. I am investigating because I am looking into buying a baritone to also make it playable next to other c tuned ukuleles (gcea) but would also like the low G.

I have to second, or third, the advice about forgetting about the whole GCEA thing. Just get a good DBGE set of strings (I use Southcoast's LML-NW, Light medium Gauge) and play that baritone like it is a soprano. I've had my baritone for quite some time now and I have never looked at a single baritone resource. I just play it like my other ukuleles. Of course, I am not playing in the key I think I'm playing in...but it sounds the same--albeit at a lower pitch.

Thanks for the information. I have tried to contact Southcoast but it seems they are out of business. Do you have a current email address for them? The one on their site does not work.

I would think one octave lower but you have a very good question. I guess I will have to do some investigation myself because yes it is a little confusing. Glad I am not the only one questioning this one. I figured right off the bat that the soprano strings would be too short anyway to be used on the baritone but maybe not. I am investigating because I am looking into buying a baritone to also make it playable next to other c tuned ukuleles (gcea) but would also like the low G.

Yeah best thing to do for strings of this scale is buying individual guitar strings. D'Addario tension calculator is perfect tool to determine correct gauges.

I am busy enough with learning how just to play regular uke and amazed at UU members who come up with new creative problems to solve.

Top Bottom