1950's harmony soprano, cracked tuning pegs

ksiegel

Probably unknown member
UU VIP
Reaction score
Hi!

I've got a 1950's era harmony uke (with the stenciled tuning notes between the sound hole and bridge, and red paint around the top of the instrument), and the plastic shark's tooth style pegs are starting to crack.

I just changed the strings (probably the first time since my Father-in-law bought the instrument 60-something years ago), and put washers between the peg buttons and the back of the head stock. It holds pitch much better, but can't tighten the screws too much, as the plastic buttons are slightly cracked.

I've just done an eBay search, and the only thing I can think of is buying a cheap used harmony Uke for use as a parts kit.

The holes for the tuners are very small - around 3mm diameter. If worse comes to worse, I can always enlarge the holes, and use Ping tuners. But that's a last resort.

Anyone have a guess where I can go to try and find tuning pegs?

Thanks!

-Kurt​

BTW, I used Kala SF Red strings, and the instrument sounds completely different.

You've got the right idea. With a little patience, you should be able to find a damaged Harmony on eBay that won't set you back much more than the Pings.

Also, my compliments to you for keeping an older, family ukulele playable. Cool. Get it in good shape again, and it'll hopefully last another 60-something years in your family.

Those shark tooth tuners are listed on eBay from time to time. They don't seem to sell for too much more than $20 for the last few sets I've seen. I also agree that you should try to keep that uke as original as you can. Sorry, I'm a Harmony USA nut, so maybe my view is a little biased.

Dan

Those shark tooth tuners are listed on eBay from time to time. They don't seem to sell for too much more than $20 for the last few sets I've seen. I also agree that you should try to keep that uke as original as you can. Sorry, I'm a Harmony USA nut, so maybe my view is a little biased.

Dan

Got one w/exactly the same problem & found a set just like that, but haven't swapped them out yet. Even w/the single cracked peg, its still a great little uke.

Thanks, guys.

Yeah, this harmony was my first uke - my father-in-law gave it to me last thanksgiving, right about the time he learned he had cancer. great shape, chipboard case and all - I really do want to keep it as original as possible.

Of course, the Kala Red strings go so great with the red stenciling, having a much better sound and visual effect is a great combination.

So, should I just look for "shark tooth harmony tuning pegs"?

Thanks again!

-Kurt​

I refurbished several of those old Harmonys. Love them. So simple but so delightful in every way. I wouldn't ever want to change the tuners to something different. That'd be like sanding off the stenciled artwork! Keep looking. You'll find your tuners.

Last edited:
Top Bottom