Thread: Soprano or concert?

Default Soprano or concert?

I have been thinking for some time about getting an Ohana SK35G but like to be able to play the melody and not just use the ukulele as a rhythm instrument. Would I better off getting the concert instead of the soprano?
    Red burst Makala Dolphin
    Lanikai LU-21C
    Ohana SK35G

Nah. Melodies sound great on soprano ukuleles. Especially on nice ones like the SK-35G.
    -Ralf Youtz

My videos are here.

The future is unwritten.

Between a concert and a soprano, I'd opt for the concert size for playing melodies. The concert and tenors bodies typically start at the 14th fret giving you an additional step of easy access plus they typically have more frets. 18-20 vs. 12-15. Depending on your hand size, some find it harder to play more complex finger patterns on the small scale lengths, especially when higher on the neck.

First, I agree with the SK-38 comments.

If the extra frets are important to you, but you prefer the Soprano sound, look for a Soprano with a Concert scale neck or possibly a Tenor scale neck. If you prefer the sound of the Concert, go with a Concert or even a "Super" Concert if you want even more frets.

Try-out all the different ones you can, then make your selection???
    ---Tom---

Soprano, No Brand Name, Beginner Uke
    Soprano, Long Neck (Concert scale), KALA KS-SLNG
    Soprano, OHANA, SK-38
    Soprano, Long Neck (Concert scale), KoALOHA
    Concert, OHANA, CK-35G
    Tenor, OHANA, TK-80
    Soprano, GOLD TONE, Banjolele

Thanks for the replies, unfortunately due to the current lack of stock in the uk, trying different ukes before purchase is very difficult, so I am having to rely on other people's experiences.
    I am hoping the soprano with more than 12 frets will be ok for me. Might give me an excuse to get a concert later :-)
    Red burst Makala Dolphin
    Lanikai LU-21C
    Ohana SK35G

Soprano now. Concert later. IMO ^.^
    A ukulele pickin' dreamer and disturber of the peace.
    https://www.twitch.tv/ukerist

I mainly play concert, though sometimes soprano. My musical partner in the band plays only soprano. Both sizes work great for any style, and we both take solos. Look up Ukulelezazza and see what he does with a soprano, melody-wise! The SK35 and 38 are great sopranos, but if you are able, could you get down to Bournemouth to Southern Ukulele Store and try a few?

I have had both, but use the concert for finger picking, which I like. I still like sopranos, particularly pineapples. I want a soprano with high G, and a concert with low G.

Concert. Done!
    Mainland Mango Concert and Red Cedar Soprano, Kala KA-ASKS Soprano, KoAloha Concert, Boat Paddle Tenor, Moore Bettah Tenor, Boat Paddle Mseries Baritone

I have been going back and forth on what I wanted. At first I thought a tenor, then a concert. At this point, I think I will get a nice concert, and a slightly less expensive soprano.

Thread Information