More Parrot Stuff

Timbuck

Reaction score
I decided to make a set of swivel type jaws..I looked on the web and found a pattern to work from..when they were made I was not happy with them..they worked ok but when I was tensioning the vice they wobbled all over the place and kept falling over..and I needed 3 hands to hold the new jaws in place until the the workpiece was clamped in position..So I cured the problem with four small 6 X 3mm Neomidium magnets...now they hold in place all the time..and I'm a happy bunny again.:)
The Jaws in vice
PICT0014-2.jpg

The magnets fitted
PICT0020-3.jpg

Holding Workpiece
PICT0010-6.jpg

Last edited:
Yep... that's another one for the tips book. And I wanna reach through and grab that uke. You've been playing that one haven't you.

Yep... that's another one for the tips book. And I wanna reach through and grab that uke. You've been playing that one haven't you.
Keep your eyes off my uke Vic..That one's mine..It's the last one of the "Fireplace Ukes batch" that i made in 2009 there are only another 17 out there like it...I only used it as a model the for photo.

Last edited:
Keep your eyes off my uke Vic..That one's mine..It's the last one of the "Fireplace Ukes batch" that i made in 2009 there are only another 17 out there like it...I only used it as a model the for photo.

Well I've had a thing for mahogany and "M" style instruments for a long time so it's hard to avert my eyes from such a beauty... I promise to look but not touch. :)

Story of my life

Last week I bought this Vice from Axminster..price in the UK £29.75 inc VAT...This morning I receive the Xmas gift catalogue from Axminster..in it is listed same parrot vice special offer £22.96 ..If I'd waited just one week I could have saved myself £6.79 :wallbash:

I've joined the parrot vice club by taking advantage of our tool supplier's deal. Was surprised at how large and heavy this thing is and after making 2 sets of soft jaws and securing it to the bench with 6mm threaded inserts I am at a loss as to why I never bought one years ago. What a great piece of kit - the clamping action/swivel deal is very clever indeed. At this rate it may remain permanently fixed to the auxlliary bench.

I've wanted one for ages and finally got one today. Yippee! Also ordered a pair of vice jaws, a diamond sharpening stone and a bottle of Titebond and carriage for that lot to France was only £10.79. Good old Axminster (and thanks for the tip Ken).

Knob Problem
Just had a Design failure on the Parrot...The knob came off one end of the "Tommy bar" handle :(..it was only glued on with epoxy :confused: must be the cold weather....
I had to drill /tap down the end of the shaft and fit it back on again with an M4 capscrew..I'll do the same at the other end when that one comes off :D

Last edited:
Top Bottom