online courses...

prince

Reaction score
Hello everyone! Glad I found this place. Iv'e just bought a nice uku And I really want to start learning this instrument. My goal is one day to be able to play advanced Hawaiian traditional tunes. like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyVkuirKydw

Now, I'm supposed to have some sort of advantage since Iv'e been playing classical and flamenco guitar for some years. But I don't want to play the ukulele like a guitarist as iv'e seeing many people do. And since there are no teachers in my country I really need an online course. I didn't like the once I saw in homespun tapes. I don't want to learn a bunch of chords and songs - I want to learn the right hand traditional technics of the instrument (like the video I posted).

BTW, I have long nails in my right hand for guitar. Do most people use nails or bare fingers, or fingerpicks? Will I have a problem?

Thank you!

Welcome!

Cool vid. Doesn't sound very Hawaiian to me, lol. More tin pan alley 1930's.

I would say most people use their nails to pick, although it can be done without nails. A pick can be used- usually a felt one- but they are not super popular with most players. I would check out the online courses on this website, called UU+. It's $15 a month and you get 2 weeks free. I have found them very helpful. Also, to learn your chords check out Uncle Rods Ukulele Bootcamp (free download). You should pick up the uke quickly if you have guitar experience. There are a lot of online tutorials of how to play songs of all kinds.

Hmmmm, "advanced Hawaiian traditional tunes" seems like an oxymoron to me. UU is a great site for lessons. Lots of demos on YouTube....search ukulele hawaiian music. If you want to specialize in Hawaiia music, get a Hawaiian Chord chart/book, etc Lots of chords common to Hawaiian music are sprinkled all over tradional chord books. Good luck. (you can always save up, go to Hawaii, and take lessons from Kimo)

Hi and welcome to UU :D

First thing I recommend is Uncle Rod's Ukulele Boot Camp, starts with helping you learn chords and transitioning to them, from there I'd sign up to UU+ and start with UUU 101, working your way up to 103 and beyond. I started with both of those (Uncle Rod's long before UU+) and have come a long way using those as my lessons, also look on Youtube for videos and you could join in with the Daily Ukulele posts which I make most days on the Uke Talk forum, I post a new song from the Jumpin' Jim Beloff's book "The Daily Ukulele" every day. I would also recommend "Ukulele For Dummies" as a book to read and if you're interested in theory then both "Music Theory For Dummies" for a general view and "Ukulele Fretboard Roadmaps" for an Ukulele based theory.

There's a whole heap of information out there and it's easy to find and use to your advantage :D

Hope that helps

Joey

Top Bottom