Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pore filling timber with Z Poxy

Question Pore filling timber with Z Poxy

Building my first timber bodied uke (Resonator Tenor) and am starting to think about the finishing process.
    Done some research and pore filling with Z Poxy looks like the go. Any body had any experience with it and as I want to stain the mahogany back and sides a dark tobacco brown color was wondering do I stain before I fill or fill then stain.

Tim W
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice one - I've used it but have changed to Smith's Industries finishing cure....better working properties.

I just watched this topic on youtube -- it was very informative.

http://youtu.be/YYHxMg7n9cI

I read something here by Chuck Moore that he used epoxy for grain filling so I gave it a try. Z Poxy was what I had and I gotta say that this is the way I will do finishes from now on. The epoxy gave a depth to the finish that I had never gotten before. I've been using a Bondo type squeegee and it works good for me. I'd think you'd have to stain before putting on the epox.
    My Real name is Terry Harris

Quote Originally Posted by resoman View Post
    I read something here by Chuck Moore that he used epoxy for grain filling so I gave it a try. Z Poxy was what I had and I gotta say that this is the way I will do finishes from now on. The epoxy gave a depth to the finish that I had never gotten before. I've been using a Bondo type squeegee and it works good for me. I'd think you'd have to stain before putting on the epox.
    I've been using medium ca lately. A little harder to apply but it's a lot quicker.
    Chuck Moore
    Moore Bettah Ukuleles
    http://www.moorebettahukes.com

I would stain first, and touch up stain before the last zpoxy coat if necessary.
    I use zpoxy and like it fairly well although if not sanded all the way down so only the pores are full it does add a very slight amber cast. I usually don't mind that. I have tried different squeegees but like old credit cards best. I do two coats, and very rarely three. After sanding the last coat smooth I mix a batch of zpoxy with about 30% zpoxy to 70% denatured alcohol (the stuff you buy in cans). I apply this very thin wash coat with a clean cotton makeup remover pad I steal from my daughter. Before lacquering I sand very lightly with white-non-woven-KNP-4085.jpg one of these pads. You don't want to sand back thru the zpoxy coat.
    Last edited by Michael Smith; 11-02-2011 at 08:01 AM.

Watch out for "amine blush" when using epoxies as sealers or pore fillers.

I'm now using Smith's CEPS first, then System 3 coating epoxy. Both are no or very low amine blush epoxies made to go under subsequent finishes. The Smiths penetrates a bit more; the System 3 fills pores better. I figure a coat of each is great.

I did a series of videos to demo pore filling. This is the first. I use WEST Systems as it's what I'm familiar with, and I can get locally.

Allen.

That parlor that you built on these vids is what gave me the idea of the very dark back. I think with the tiger myrtle binding on the body, fretboard and peghead it will look great. aslo going to use a purfling product from Petros guitars that looks pretty cool. Expensive but why not.

http://www.purflex.net/Purflex/Purfl..._purfling.html

Thanks guys for all your help for a new builder. I can see this getting addictive.

Tim.

[QUOTE=Allen;794787]I did a series of videos to demo pore filling. This is the first. I use WEST Systems as it's what I'm familiar with, and I can get locally.
    Last edited by morpheous; 11-02-2011 at 01:06 PM.

That is really interesting material. I'm going to order some

Thread Information