Kala SC and Lanikai SC

heymak

Reaction score
I'm looking at buying a spruce top concert and have been looking at the Kala and the Lanikai. Except for a slight difference in the head stock they seem to be identical. Is there any distinguishable difference in quality? The reason I ask is that I can get the Lanikai for about $20.00 less.

In this price range, both is almost the same sound. Maybe both came from the same chinese factory. So, if you could pay less for the Lanikai, and you already have a Kala Ka-T, a new brand in your house could be a good thing. Buy the Lanikai!!!

I ditto the above, except that I have been able to compare a number of Lanikai and Kalas side by side. My general impression is that the Kalas seem to be finished better. I also think that their choice in woods is more appealing. Personally, if I have to play it everyday, I want to enjoy looking at it as well a play it! I vote for the Kala, even if sound is identical. They just look and feel nice as well as play well.

Last edited:
+1 on the Kalas. I bought the soprano spurce-top one after spending weeks comparing different ukes in the same price range at my local music shops, including the equivalent Lanikai (they must have gotten so tired of seeing me come in all the time and buy nothing! LOL). Maybe I just got lucky, but for me the sound of the Kala KSS immediately stood out as soon as I started strumming it. Massive WOW effect. You can say it was love at first strum! I'm a devoted Kala fan since then.

I don't have either, but have heard good things about Kala's so would go with that, unless, like someone said you already have a Kala in which case go with the Lanikai!

Hope that helps!

Joey :music:

Kalas tend to be a bit better in quality control... JUST IN MY OPINION but, you never know there could always be a lemon in any uke production so... What ever feels like a better instrument to you if you get to try out the ukes in person. If it is online from a reputable dealer than i say go for it but, if you aren't sure if they are just big box shippers that just drop ship then i would lean more towards the kala.

Top Bottom