Makala or Luna Concert for a first Uke?

gamegrrl

Reaction score
My birthday is coming up, and I'm trying to decide between two specific ukes as a first uke for me.

I was pretty sold on the Makala package here... http://www.theukulelesite.com/ukulelemarket/makala-beginner-concert-ukulele-package#

...but then I saw this
http://www.theukulelesite.com/ukulelemarket/luna-tattoo-concert-package-special-deal-of-the-week#

I've read all the reviews I can find. I have no concerns about the Makala, but I've read that there are/can be tuning issues with the Luna. Also, I read a comment about the edges of the Luna not being rounded, making it less comfortable to hold/play.

As this is my FIRST ukulele, I want to make sure I get one that will encourage me to keep playing. If there are tuning issues or I find it uncomfortable to play, I'll be less inclined to stick with it.

I confess, I just love the look of the Luna. If it's a comparable instrument to the Makala, then that's the one I want. If not, then I need to know and not just get sucked in by its "pretty face".

Thanks in advance!

Aloha and e komo mai to UU, GameGrrl -

As someone who had the Luna Tattoo, I can give it a pretty good recommendation. Not only does it really have an eye-catching look, it feels good and has good sound for the price.

I would think the Luna is actually a better uke than the Makala, and should be considered as on par with Kala (the Makala parent brand), Lanikai, Oscar Schmidt, and other entry-level laminate 'ukuleles.

That being said, while I don't want to steer you away from the Luna, you may also want to consider the Islander. It is a little bit more expensive (about $20 or $30 more), but the Islander is backed by Kanile'a, so even though it's also an Asian factory-made laminate, it has the benefit of needing to be good enough for Kanile'a to agree to market it.

Ultimately, if you go with the Luna you'll probably be happy. And, if you get it through Hawai'i Music Supply, you'll be certain that it is properly set-up, so you won't have to worry about that.

Be sure to report back once you've made your choice and tell us what you think!

I made a similar decision with my first uke, it was between the Kala KA-P or the Luna Tattoo Pineapple with the Luna being 10€ more expensive. I would say that the Luna maybe had a little bit better sound than the Kala, but for me, it was too "badass", and I just didn't think it would have been a uke that fit with my character.

That being said, if you love the Luna then go for it, it's definitely a better build than a Makala, which is just Kala's budget uke line, basically, and it's priced nicely.

Make sure to let us know what you've chosen!

Thank you so much for the input! I've decided on the Luna. I am SO EXCITED!

Between the two, I'd go with the Luna too. At that price range, they come with a better factory setup, and have more character to their design than the plain Makalas.

I have the Luna concert floral. I love it.. It's beautiful. when I brought it home it developed a little buzz. I was so upset because I really didn't want to return it. I wrote to Luna, and got several responses back. they stand by their product and the uke was fixed up by the shop I purchased it from. No problems ever since...
I love that they stand by their product.. I look forward to hearing how you like your new uke when it arrives!

Top Bottom