Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another D#%$ String Thread

Default Another D#%$ String Thread

Just got my new Big Island Koa tenor, and although the Aquilas on it sound great, I want to experiment with other strings. If you would, list maybe four different brands you have tried and like and which ones within the brands you prefer. I would post pics, but don't know how. It is the one Aaron was selling for MGM in the marketplace a few weeks ago. Pics are there.
    Mainlands RULE!!!

Four String Recommendations:

1. Orcas fluoros: They sound incredible on my aNueNue koa tenor
    2. Worth Browns: ditto
    3. Ko'olau Alohis: good, all around sound
    4. Southcoast mediums: surprisingly bright

I'd also throw in a shout-out for Fremont Blacklines as well
    My kids:
    [SIZE="1"][COLOR="#0000CD"]
    [b]Ukes:
    None (for now), but soon!

Please help Anabelle

The first I've heard of Southcoast. Worth Browns and Blacklines are certainly in. Thanks
    Mainlands RULE!!!

On my concert I am running an odd set. I have Freemont blackline c,e,a and I have a worth bm low G.
    Very little difference between the 2 sets (worth & freemont) but I liked the 3 freemonts just a little better they had a bit more mellow IMHO and the worth didn't seem to be quite as loose .Either set would be fine but since I tried them both and the best of both worlds were already paid for I put this set together. Shame really as I can buy the freemont low g but seems impossible to find the worth BM low g lol. GL hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.
    Honu KT-CTS Ashbory Bass OU6LCE
    Pono MCD-E

I guess you're talking about the BIs. I thought the Mainland felt and played good, but this BI is awesome. I can't believe I just used that word. Anyway, if the BI feels and plays this good, I can only imagine what a Kamaka would be like. I'm already planning on one soon and I don't suffer from UAS. I just want one and I deserve one. UAS has nothing to do with it. Only weak people suffer from UAS. I also want and plan on getting a ...
    Mainlands RULE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mangorockfish View Post
    I guess you're talking about the BIs. I thought the Mainland felt and played good, but this BI is awesome. I can't believe I just used that word. Anyway, if the BI feels and plays this good, I can only imagine what a Kamaka would be like. I'm already planning on one soon and I don't suffer from UAS. I just want one and I deserve one. UAS has nothing to do with it. Only weak people suffer from UAS. I also want and plan on getting a ...
    Happens. I love my mainland and it may get played the most but that is b/c it sits in my classroom and I spend most of my time in the classroom. But my koaloha concert is my favorite...followed by my Mele redwood top...Stay away from the other ones

I'm a worth man. I have my koaloha super concert strung with freemonts and I do not like them. But I did like them on my sceptre. So...

Which other ones? Do you know something I need to know about Kamakas? I really like the Koalohas also.
    Mainlands RULE!!!

All K brands. Stay away from them. Bad for you. They do curve the uas because of cost but they make buying anything else difficult.
    Which other ones? Do you know something I need to know about Kamakas? I really like the Koalohas also.

How come there's not much talk about Kala Reds lately?
    Mainlands RULE!!!

How come there's not much talk about Kala Reds lately?
    I put a set of Kala Reds on my 1950s Harmony, just for fun, since the "binding" is a stripe of red paint, and the top has a treble staff with the notes in "D" tuning stenciled on in red.

It looks great, and sounds just fine. I have to retune after every song, but that isn't the strings - it is the cracked plastic on the tuning buttons.

-Kurt
    Donaldson Kumalae-style soprano * Magic Fluke Timber Bass * Ohana CK450QEL * Ohana CK-65D * Ken Timms Soprano
    Moku MS-90S * Waterman * National Triolian Reso * Bugsgear Aqualele * Donaldson Concert
    Rosewood Vita Uke * Waverly Street #38 * Ko'Aloha Sceptre Tenor * Ohana Vita Uke
    Fluke FireFly * Epiphone Les Paul Ukulele * Republic Concert * Fluke Tenor M22
    Kala KA-KTG-CT * Cordoba 20TM * 1950s Harmony soprano *1920s Stella banjo uke

Am I done?

...naw...

My YouTube Channel

Thread Information