A start of a beautiful love affair....

Thank you everyone for confirming that I am not crazy! Since I have made the purchase, my workmates have been making fun of me playing this instrument!!!

Definitely not crazy dude!! It's a great instrument, prove them wrong by being the best you can be at it. As far as how long it took me to play a smooth song? A day... but I'm self taught at guitar, so transferring chord shapes over to uke was no big chore. Strumming CORRECTLY took longer, but I was able to strum SMOOTHLY the first day.

I upgraded several months later. I got my first (Lanikai LU-21) in December of last year, and got my Kamaka (big jump, I know) in April of this year I think? I would have gotten it sooner, but such a big jump took some saving ;) Go at it dude, you'll never regret it.

Definitely not crazy dude!! It's a great instrument, prove them wrong by being the best you can be at it. As far as how long it took me to play a smooth song? A day... but I'm self taught at guitar, so transferring chord shapes over to uke was no big chore. Strumming CORRECTLY took longer, but I was able to strum SMOOTHLY the first day.

I upgraded several months later. I got my first (Lanikai LU-21) in December of last year, and got my Kamaka (big jump, I know) in April of this year I think? I would have gotten it sooner, but such a big jump took some saving ;) Go at it dude, you'll never regret it.

Yes - that is one motivation. I want to show everyone how great this little instrument is!! =)

Did you find that you improved because you were using a better instrument?

I believe so, yes. I wouldn't necessarily ALWAYS recommend doing what I did, such a big jump, or upgrading so soon, but I think having a nicer instrument invites you to "play up" to it as it were. you also enjoy playing more, which makes you want to practice more. Make sure you want to stick with it first, but an upgrade will definitely not hurt :) something to keep in mind is something someone I know used to say on the Piano World forums... "I would rather people say 'wow! She's such a great musician! too bad her [instrument] is holding her back!' than for them to say, 'Wow! What a nice instrument! Too bad she can't really play it all that well." If you get what I'm saying :p not that it's bad to play a very nice instrument, but keep in mind your skill level and possible loss of interest when thinking of upgrading and how much you want to spend.

What ever you do, hang on to that first one. It will always have a special place in your heart.

I believe so, yes. I wouldn't necessarily ALWAYS recommend doing what I did, such a big jump, or upgrading so soon, but I think having a nicer instrument invites you to "play up" to it as it were. you also enjoy playing more, which makes you want to practice more. Make sure you want to stick with it first, but an upgrade will definitely not hurt :) something to keep in mind is something someone I know used to say on the Piano World forums... "I would rather people say 'wow! She's such a great musician! too bad her [instrument] is holding her back!' than for them to say, 'Wow! What a nice instrument! Too bad she can't really play it all that well." If you get what I'm saying :p not that it's bad to play a very nice instrument, but keep in mind your skill level and possible loss of interest when thinking of upgrading and how much you want to spend.

I totally agree with what you are saying, but I am leaning towards upgrading to a K brand soon as I know that I if I just upgrade to something slightly better than a Lanikai I will be itching to buy something better in a few months time and to me that seems like a waste of money (thats how I would justify my spend anyway!!) =)

I totally agree with what you are saying, but I am leaning towards upgrading to a K brand soon as I know that I if I just upgrade to something slightly better than a Lanikai I will be itching to buy something better in a few months time and to me that seems like a waste of money (thats how I would justify my spend anyway!!) =)

It's true. I'm glad I got a K brand as my upgrade rather than spending that money on a bunch of smaller upgrades.

Congrats on the 1st ukulele! I think you'll probably buy more. I am learning the difference between an obsession and a hobby. I took my ukulele to bed with me the other night. No, I am not some kind of weird sex fiend, I was tired and I wanted to hear how it sounded after it's first setup. I went to my first ever ukulele festival over the weekend and bought not one but TWO ukuleles. Talk about SUAS (Sudden Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome)! I didn't get to take either one of them home with me, but this is one of them:
http://lanikaiukes.com/laniblog/ukuleles/quilt-ash-series/lqa-cca-concert-size-ae-ukulele/
http://lanikaiukes.com/laniblog/ukuleles/quilt-ash-series/lqa-cca-concert-size-ae-ukulele/

Did you find that you improved because you were using a better instrument?

Sometimes I use my Kamaka as incentive to practice. I won't let myself play the Kamaka until I can play whatever it is, smoothly on my first uke.

Thank you everyone for confirming that I am not crazy! Since I have made the purchase, my workmates have been making fun of me playing this instrument!!!
everyone i know make fun of me for playing the uke, i played recently for my girlfriends family and they have stopped the jokes, i am practising every day, my mates are all asking me to play for them so they can make fun, BUT, i am not going to play for them until i am ready, then i am going to blow their minds, i have got about 10 songs down to pat but they are not perfect yet, i have never played an instrument before the uke, i just wish i had started playing years ago, so keep practising sweetiecino and blow those jokers minds

everyone i know make fun of me for playing the uke, i played recently for my girlfriends family and they have stopped the jokes, i am practising every day, my mates are all asking me to play for them so they can make fun, BUT, i am not going to play for them until i am ready, then i am going to blow their minds, i have got about 10 songs down to pat but they are not perfect yet, i have never played an instrument before the uke, i just wish i had started playing years ago, so keep practising sweetiecino and blow those jokers minds

Hi kaizersoza. You are so inspirational. Practicing correctly everyday will definitely improve our playing skills. I only have two songs now and slowly intend to build up my repertoire. I started with some very easy songs that everyone can sing.

Loved your visual tour through Hawai'i. I've lived on Oahu, for the last 4 years, but have never been to the Big Island...especially enjoyed the slide show...what camera did you use?

Top Bottom