Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Alulu Ukes? Heard of them? Ripoff?

Haha, thanks!
    Soprano: Eddy Finn EF-25-S and Mahalo (my "Little Blue")
    Concert: Kala KA-FMC, Cordoba UP-100, Luna Flower Acoustic/Electric, Alulu UKC Pineapple
    Tenor: Fender Hau'oli

My YouTube

Very nice! Happy new uke!

mine has a buzz on the A srtring but I have determined that the second fret is not seated all the way on the A side of the fretoard so when I change strings Iwill seat it or sand it lightly depending on need. other than that the action is fine. I am going to order some Living Waters strings for it because it already sounds good with Aquilas and I am hoping even sweeter with the new ones, but I will let you know.
    Rita

Quote Originally Posted by wildfire070 View Post
    How do you figure out how much of the saddle to sand down? And how would you determine to take down at the saddle vs at the nut? I haven't set up anything myself yet but would like to learn some of the basics so I don't have to take it to a shop for something simple.
    I'm not exactly sure how to explain it but other members would definitely have some info on it. I'm sure if you search about set ups on the site, you'll find some helpful links!
    OWNED IN THE PAST:
    Taisamlu Baritone guitarlele
    Taisamlu Tenor Guitarlele
    Luna high tide 8 string ukulele
    Kala laminate mahogany pickup ukulele
    Stagg solid top mahogany soprano ukulele

OWN NOW:
    Lanikai Monkey Pod Tenor
    Bruce Wei CUSTOM koa ukulele

My understanding is that ideally, you want between 2 - 3 mm of space between the top of the 12th fret and the bottom of the string. If you're sanding down the saddle, you need to sand down 2x the amount by which you want to lower the string @ the 12th fret. So - if you want to lower the string .5 mm @ the 12th fret, you need to sand 1 mm off the saddle. It's also my understanding that you want a minimum of 2 mm of saddle extending above the top of the bridge -

If this is not right, I'd love to be set straight before I do too much damage somewhere along the way!

I just got one of these today, a tenor with MOP and abalone inlay. Looks gorgeous, sounds sweet and the action is perfect. I couldn't be happier. Bought it from Taisamlu on ebay. Arrived 10 days after I paid for it, so fast shipping. Well packed and came with a hard case. The shipping price almost put me off, but I just bought my daughter a Luna concert in maple and it cost more and I still had to buck up for a hard case for it. Th alulu was a great deal.

While this is a relatively old thread...

Do any of you still have your Alulu ukes? Do you still like them? Did any issues show up after your initial post in this thread?

I realize they are only $300 and some people here spend 10x that much on a uke without thinking about it, but I would like to get another all solid Tenor Uke, and this would be cheaper than any other option and include the Hardcase.

I have a few older Alulu ukuleles that are still going fine. I've had some minor wood movement on one of them but nothing out of line with ANYTHING else you could buy.

Now of course thats the old ones and I haven't bought a new one for a while so who knows? I think that they are great value for money. No more perfect than buying a Kala.

Anthony

Thread Information