First ding on Lokahi

consitter

Reaction score
Sad to say, but my beloved ukulele, Lokahi, got her first ding the other day. We were taking the girls to the pediatrician, and I decided to take the uke along to practice the new girl scout song we had written and arranged. (I rode shotgun, of course).

Well, when we got to the gas station to fill up, as I was getting out the van, it happened. When I unbuckled my seatbelt, it sprung up and hit the binding on the backside *CLUNK!!* I cringed, looked at it, then about puked. It was tiny, but it was there. Truthfully, it's too small to see from more than a couple of feet away. Ah, well, what's done can't be undone. Learn from my stupidity.

I got a tiny ding on my Moore Bettah. I felt the same way as you. Then Chuck said something that has always stuck with me...to paraphrase he said he hates to see an old Moore Bettah in pristine condition as it means it hasn't been played as much. Scratches and dings show that the instrument is being used and loved. As Alex said, "Scars of war, something to be proud of!"

Aloha S Consitter,
Sorry to hear about your first ding on Lokahi...always hurts the first one..shoots...I just get sick too when if it happens to me, if I could have prevented it and not be so rushed or inattentive....
Feel for you brother.happy Strummings..MM Stan

Ughh, sorry to hear that Scott. I know that feeling but as other say, they're your battle scars and the pain from seeing the ding will eventually go away.

Scuffs and dings means that it's being used and enjoyed else you might as well keep her locked up in a case and played with gloved hands in a padded room.:p

I got a tiny ding on my Moore Bettah. I felt the same way as you. Then Chuck said something that has always stuck with me...to paraphrase he said he hates to see an old Moore Bettah in pristine condition as it means it hasn't been played as much. Scratches and dings show that the instrument is being used and loved. As Alex said, "Scars of war, something to be proud of!"
Phew! I'm not alone.

Dings are good-- well, you know what I mean. You play it, you don't just look at it.

I'm sorry that happened to you and your Lokahi. What dings our instruments dings us in some way.
But everybody is right about a well played instrument having it's own stories to tell.
It's not a ding! It's a groovy happening!;)

I agree with what Nuprin said, it gives the 'ukulele a lot more character :D

It's proof that you played it. Besides, there's no use getting flustered about material objects getting dinged up, right? Unless you're a pharaoh, I don't think you'll be taking them with you when the time comes :p

I agree with the others. I take decent care of my instruments but I don't cry over the inevitable dings. Have you ever seen Willy Nelson's guitar? LOL

John

Thanks to all for your kind comments. I play Lokahi EVERY day. I should expect it. I'm sure more will come, and I'll be whining to you guys again...maybe. I really don't treat her with kid gloves anymore.

If after a few years you don't have any scratches or dents on your uke, you're probably not playing enough. The first one always hurts the most, but they get less and less painful after that. I just got a new uke last week and I already put a shallow fingernail gouge in it!

I had a friend that used to play the crap out of his guitars. When I first met him and saw one of his guitars that literally had a hole worn through the soundboard, I figured it was at least 10 years old. Then he told me that this was a new one he got less than a year ago! I patched it up, stuck pieces of that clear pick-guard material in all the problematic areas and replaced a few worn out frets. I think that guitar lasted another year or so, but that was the only time I've ever met anyone who actually wore holes in their soundboard.

Top Bottom