Why guitarists don't understand us...

maybe have a DVD playing w/ footage of Jake, Aldrine, Abe, Troy Fernandez, Imua Garza, Lyle Ritz, Herb Ohta, Koeki K, James Hill, etc...etc????

As a long time percussionist, going to conventions and expos... I tend to gravitate more to a booth w/ an endorsed artist or some great footage on a monitor.

Some people need to physically see the potential of this awesome lil' instrument, yknow?

(I like the idea of showin the uke to the wives though! haha
makes me think of those guys who get all close teaching them how to shoot pool)
HAHA

Videos would be a great idea, and I would also include UKOGB and Gugug. And some funny uke videos too: the Will Macy one, the Will Smith one, etc.

Photos of famous people with ukuleles would also get people looking (George H, John L, Paul M, especially).

Hire an attractive girl from Hooters Nottingham at £200 for the whole day to flirt with everyone (girls too) and help sell ukuleles.

Personally this would put me off. I hate booth babes, and while they might get people to the booth they won't get people interested in ukuleles. (Also when you get close, they always look kind of disturbing.) Not to mention that everybody's palms will get sweaty and they won't be able to test the ukuleles properly.

Of course any girl playing the ukulele is incredibly attractive, so getting a ukulele lady to play at the booth could only help.

I like this idea. You'd also then probably start getting male visitors, when the single guys see all the ladies congregating around one table.

Haha, devious stuff.

I have a very attractive wife who sets up my stand and does the public interface thing when I am demonstrating and she comes free! But there is something I have to tell you cuzens - UK shows are just not like those in the US!

That famous British reserve can be best translated as 'cynicism' - we tend to recoil from the sales pitch (not me! I love being sold to) and are very wary of anyone trying to push their products. You shop in a store in the UK and 9 times out of 10 you are left to make your own decisions: it's assumed that we don't need help buying. I think it would probably be the reverse in the US.

This is a bad thing:uhoh: so you have to strike a balance and sadly, a pretty girl with a great rack won't do it for most of the DBL's that go to these shows.

Agreed, Pete - but a ukulele lady workshop would be wonderful. And you would be surrounded by lovely people all day.

forgive me for i have played guitar and love it.

Top Bottom