Thread: when to change out da strings?

Question laminate or wood?

musicians friend (and others) describes the Lanikai NK-C as made with "solid Hawaiian koa tops and Hawaiian koa back and sides"... this DOES mean the sides and back are "solid" Koa too... right? SHOOTZ
    Last edited by dakamaainahaole; 11-15-2011 at 06:54 AM. Reason: internet glitch, thread posted twice, new thread
    MahAloHawai'i

Lanikai NK-C
    Kanile'a K1-TP

Likely the back and sides are laminate koa (a sandwich of woods with koa on the outside so it looks nice).
    MP Redwood/Koa Tenor with SouthCoast Heavies (tuned FBbDG), Loprinzi Mahogany Tenor with SouthCoast Mediums, Lute-kulele with Worth Browns, Mahalo "Les Paul"

Quote Originally Posted by JamieFromOntario View Post
    Likely the back and sides are laminate koa (a sandwich of woods with koa on the outside so it looks nice).
    ... bummahz ... das why i bought da kine... thought it was all KOA! shaka, no worries, still sounds great!
    MahAloHawai'i

Lanikai NK-C
    Kanile'a K1-TP

It's my understanding that it's not very important what the back and sides are made of, so long as they are very hard. The back and sides are there to reflect the vibrations back up to the soundboard (top). The vibrations then travel from the inside of the instrument and out through the soundboard.

Also, some laminates are very good and make for a great sounding uke, even if they are all laminate.

peace
    MP Redwood/Koa Tenor with SouthCoast Heavies (tuned FBbDG), Loprinzi Mahogany Tenor with SouthCoast Mediums, Lute-kulele with Worth Browns, Mahalo "Les Paul"

Thread Information