well it finaly happened

Keef

Reaction score
after 3 years of playing the two songs I made up my A string broke on my Sceptre I guess I need to figure out where to get new ones just like the ones that came from the koaloha factory anyone have any contacts?
thanks

No need for you to get the exact same strings. Use this as an opportunity to experiment with some others. If you're looking for flouoros, consider Southcoast, Orcas, or Fremont. Or, if you want to go nylon, maybe some Ko'olau Alohis would be right.

If you really are set on the same ones KoAloha used, you can always email them I suppose. But I think Trinimon is right that they use Worth.

The use proprietory FC strings but endorse Worth and use Worth for custom orders. Their strings will sound similar to Worth. When I asked Brian at Koaloha, he said Worth High Density were closest. There are many threads about this as well as using FC fishing line.

Wait a second! You haven't changed your strings in 3 years!!!!! I find my strings starting to fade after around 4 months and are pretty much dead by 6.
Once you get those new strings on, you should see a significant improvement in sound quality.

Wait a second! You haven't changed your strings in 3 years!!!!! I find my strings starting to fade after around 4 months and are pretty much dead by 6.
Once you get those new strings on, you should see a significant improvement in sound quality.
maybe I have been blessed with no ability to tell the difference between a new or a old string ... and Ive been grinning the whole time actualy I dont recall the last time I bothered to tune that joker either .... however I can tell a big sound difference now that the A string is gone
Boy I sure miss it :)

maybe I have been blessed with no ability to tell the difference between a new or a old string ... and Ive been grinning the whole time actualy I dont recall the last time I bothered to tune that joker either .... however I can tell a big sound difference now that the A string is gone
Boy I sure miss it :)

No worries about that. Just use the G string starting at the second fret! Problem solved. :)

No worries about that. Just use the G string starting at the second fret! Problem solved. :)

That's what I like - lateral thinking :)

(umm it was strung high G right?) :rofl:

The thing is that strings deteriorate gradually over time so that you really can't tell a difference on a day-to-day basis.
That's very true with nylon strings and steel strings. Curiously, I've found fluorocarbon strings to be about the most stable strings ever. I can wear through nylon strings in the matter of a few weeks on a favorite uke, and steel strings rarely lasted a month on my favorite guitars, but fluorocarbon seems incredibly stable once they stretch in. Very rarely need much in the way of tuning and the strings on my KoAloha have been on for at least six months and it gets played probably an hour or so a day on average. I was checking them the other day - intonation still good, tone still sweet and loud - and no physical signs of wear either from frets or strumming finger. Pretty tough stuff.

Of course, all my ukes have polished frets and good action so not much pressure is needed, if you're playing a uke with rough frets or high action, or are just given to pressing harder than needed, I suppose your mileage could vary. :)

John

The thing is that strings deteriorate gradually over time so that you really can't tell a difference on a day-to-day basis.

Yup. I can't tell the difference until I change my strings. I just know after years of playing classical guitar that it always sounds so much better after I throw on a new set. How often you change your strings depends on how much you play, but every 6 months is a pretty safe bet.

A few tips when you change your strings:
-Change all of them (it just makes it easier and your uke will overall sound better)
-Leave at least one string on or keep close attention to your saddle and nut
-Check out some vids on changing uke strings (It will make the process easier)
-Give the a stretch once your done (It will still take a few days before they stay in tune but it will speed up the process)
-Pick yourself up a string winder (You will thank me for this later)

-Pick yourself up a string winder (You will thank me for this later)
Better yet, get friction tuners and you won't need a string winder <sly grin>. Seriously, though, I haven't found a string winder that is worth a flip on the tiny buttons on ukulele tuners. I mean, they work but they flop around so much that I can't tune much faster than without the winder for fear of tearing the headstock or the other buttons up.

John

Better yet, get friction tuners and you won't need a string winder <sly grin>. Seriously, though, I haven't found a string winder that is worth a flip on the tiny buttons on ukulele tuners. I mean, they work but they flop around so much that I can't tune much faster than without the winder for fear of tearing the headstock or the other buttons up.

John
I use the stringwinder I've had for like forever on all my ukes with geared tuners. really speeds things up. I think it's a Dunlop. The only one i HAVE A PROBLEM WITH IS THE KoAloha. the bottom "points' really get in the way. Maybe I'll just sand them off.

Last edited:
I use the stringwinder I've had for like forever on all my ukes with geared tuners. really speeds things up. I think it's a Dunlop. The only one i HAVE A PROBLEM WITH IS THE KoAloha. the bottom "points' really get in the way. Maybe I'll just sand them off.

Sacrilege! LOL

When you get the new ones on, you will tell the difference....btw....where were you all this time...Are you dating Taimane?? hee hee

When you get the new ones on, you will tell the difference....btw....where were you all this time...Are you dating Taimane?? hee hee

I'm with Stan...that's the question everyone's asking!!!!

Seriously though keef, can't help you with an answer to your question as my tech ability & understanding is non-existent, but it's just great to see you back online mate, cheers!

Last edited:

I am going to get two sets of strings one set is going on the sceptre and the other is going on my CBU as a last ditch effort in hopes that somehow it will make me like the way it sounds
where have I been ? right here but I have many interests like right now I am building a 4 engine drag kart and I am carving a tiki for a person I met on the web. but I find time to plink the two songs I made up everyday
Am I dating Taimane?
WOW :drool: that would be cool but sadly no:(
hey Stan I live 6000 miles away so maybe you could mention it to her and ill fly in and take her to dinner :)

Curiously, I've found fluorocarbon strings to be about the most stable strings ever. I can wear through nylon strings in the matter of a few weeks on a favorite uke, and steel strings rarely lasted a month on my favorite guitars, but fluorocarbon seems incredibly stable once they stretch in.
When I first tried fluorocarbons on my CG I was amazed at the legs they have. Used to be if a bass (wound) string "popped" I'd just change all the strings. But a set of FC trebles will easily last thru 2-3 sets of basses. They just seem to keep that "sweet" sound for a l-o-n-g time. :)

I'm partial to Worths on uke. I do have Aquilas on my Flea and Fluke, but I don't really like them on solid tops. Just a bit too harsh and thuddy sounding to me. I'm thinking of trying some Martin FCs on the Flea soon just to see how they do, since I've heard several people here say they like them.

Top Bottom