Uke Capo

mr moonlight

Reaction score
I've been using my old Kaiser trigger style guitar capo for my Ukes but it's cumbersome being a bit big for the smaller fingerboard. Does anyone have a favorite capo they use on their uke's that fits properly?

Get one that is for the mandolin or banjo.

Anyone have any experience with the Planet Waves NS Trio Capo?
I have one of the Planet Waves Capos for my guitar. It's a bit large form my Uke and won't clamp down all the way. Is the Banjo version made for thinner necks?

Chubb now has a ukulele capo which I use a bit and it is nice. Lower profile than their guitar one but still a bit chunky. Definitely smaller than the Kaiser. (Elderly.com)

Another option that was really neat but did not work out for me was the QuickDraw capo. Southwest Ukes talks about them on thier site in the string section. The banjo capo is about the right length. The difference with this capo is that when you don't need it you slide it on top of the nut to put it out of the way. It was the smallest capo by far. The problem I had was that on my KoAloha the nut is very thin so the capo would not stay right on top of the nut and wanted to slide either off which changed the pitch of the strings. The other uke is a Boat Paddle and it has a very strange nut with pins, so that didn't work either. Given enough surface area on top of the nut, the quickdraw looked like it would be a really nice solution. http://www.quickdrawcapo.com/

I worked with Shubb to produce a dedicated ukulele capo. It works with most sopranos, nearly all concerts, all tenors and very few baritones.

I don't use a ukulele capo myself, but Shubb make the best guitar capos (IMHO).

They are available at Shubb dealers and Ohana dealers (if they have chosen to stock them).

I worked with Shubb to produce a dedicated ukulele capo. It works with most sopranos, nearly all concerts, all tenors and very few baritones.

They are available at Shubb dealers and Ohana dealers (if they have chosen to stock them).

:agree: I have been using Shubb capos for guitar and banjo for years. I really like them, very well made, last forever (you will probably lose one before you can wear it out) and they don't get in the way of your fingers. I just got the ukulele one, and it is just as good as the others, but made for ukuleles! For ukuleles, you probably won't want to use it higher than the 3rd fret. I find my ukulele's tone starts to suffer as the scale gets shorter.
–Lori

Sorry about my mispelling. I googled it and Chubb came up. Didn't bother to dig my capo out. Should be Shubb as Ken says.

Not a huge fan of uke capos as I think it's easy enough to play without, and those I've tried that are metal make the instrument neck heavy.

I did test one of these though and was pleasantly surprised. Very lightweight but does affect fretting hand a bit

http://www.gotaukulele.com/2011/01/volcapo-ukulele-capo-review.html

I definitely prefer to play without a capo, but sometimes I just have the need to bring it up a half or whole step on the fly. I've only been playing a few months so transposing songs isn't as automatic for me yet like it is with the guitar... especially after throwing back a few! I was pretty unhappy using my Kaiser capo for the size and weight, but my Planet Waves capo is quite light and unobtrusive. I'm going to try out the banjo version and see how it goes.

That Volcapo definitely is pretty interesting looking.

Another option that was really neat but did not work out for me was the QuickDraw capo....The banjo capo is about the right length. The difference with this capo is that when you don't need it you slide it on top of the nut to put it out of the way. It was the smallest capo by far... Given enough surface area on top of the nut, the quickdraw looked like it would be a really nice solution. http://www.quickdrawcapo.com/

Goat - you missed one thing with the QuickDraw. When you want to play open, don't rest it on top of the nut - push it to the head side. That'll take care of your problem.

Not a huge fan of uke capos as I think it's easy enough to play without, and those I've tried that are metal make the instrument neck heavy.

I did test one of these though and was pleasantly surprised. Very lightweight but does affect fretting hand a bit

http://www.gotaukulele.com/2011/01/volcapo-ukulele-capo-review.html

Paul,

Those folks have a lot of chutzpah to claim the Vocapo is any sort of original design. That's the way capos were originally made. Since Flamenco guitar players continue to use them to this day, that means the basic design has been produced continuosly for - oh - about 300 years or so. The Volcapo is kind of crude, compared to the nice woods used in Flamenco capos.

We've made them, and improved on that design to make it easier to play.

It does have less weight than anything we've tried.

Last edited:
South coast - I do like a bit of chutzpah now and again..

Yeah, it's based on a Spanish cejilla. First one I've seen for uke though!

What I used to use regularly on the guitar (before I bought a Shubb) was a short piece of pencil and a strong elastic band. It works a treat. It's cheap, easy to put on and it's light. I'm sure this would work fine on a uke.

Top Bottom