Epoxy pore fill under oil

bluesuke

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has done a Epoxy pore fill under a oil finish?
I have done a few tests and it works great but I'm not sure if there will be any adhesion issues.

Thanks in advance
Perry

Last edited:
Hi Perry,
I tried an oil finish over zpoxy a couple years ago. Not Tru-oil, but oil. I was advised to use a bond coat of shellac, but neglected that advice. Looked great for a couple of weeks until the oil started coming off. Wound up stripping off the oil and spraying it with Shellac and nitro. I was sure to scrub off any hint of amine blush with water and a drop of Dawn, didn't help.

That uke is now living with a neighborhood friend and the finish is still going strong. My thought is that if I'd have listened in the first place and sprayed a couple coats of shellac first, the oil would have been fine.

Good luck, Steve

The real issue is whether or not you're using an epoxy with "low amine blush". System 3 epoxy or Smith CEPS are designed to be used as sealer/pore fillers, and don't have the amine problem that leads to subsequent finish problems.

It also depends on what oil you're using. We like Waterlox which is sold as an oil finish but which would be more properly described as a "long oil varnish".

Feel free to Google the terms I'm using. There's plenty on the Internet about these things.

Top Bottom