Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I tried, but it's just not for me...

Default I tried, but it's just not for me...

Hey guys, so I've been borrowing my cousin's acoustic guitar for the past couple months or so, and I've been trying to learn. However, I just don't feel that 'connection' that I feel with the ukulele. Don't get me wrong, I love listening to guitar. I just don't think it's the instrument for me. I started on ukulele and I think i'm gonna stick to only ukulele. Anyone else on UU that tried to pick up the guitar but just didn't feel the 'connection'?
    Kanile'a K1-T, Kamaka HF-3 (Finally!)

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ItsAMeCasey
    My Blog (warning: I'm a newb and don't know what I'm doing): http://itsamecasey.wordpress.com/

I came from guitar to the uke due to my illness, as I found it to difficult to hold. Since playing the uke I can honestly say that I too never had the same connection that I have with my Ukes, it's so much more tactile, and just seems soo right. I still have my guitars but they are now just ornaments.
    http://www.youtube.com/errol4bz
    http://leroy4bz.blogspot.com/
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The good thing about music is when it hits you, you feel no pain!

Quote Originally Posted by ItsAMeCasey View Post
    Hey guys, so I've been borrowing my cousin's acoustic guitar for the past couple months or so, and I've been trying to learn. However, I just don't feel that 'connection' that I feel with the ukulele. Don't get me wrong, I love listening to guitar. I just don't think it's the instrument for me. I started on ukulele and I think i'm gonna stick to only ukulele. Anyone else on UU that tried to pick up the guitar but just didn't feel the 'connection'?
    Funny, I had the exact same experience. I started on the 'ukulele and thought that I'd give the guitar a go. So, about two months ago I bought my buddy's Yamaha G40 classical guitar for $40. I toyed with it for a few weeks then just gave it up and sold it back to him. It just wasn't for me. Maybe in the future I'll try again, but just like you said, there simply wasn't that "connection" that I feel with my uke.
    I got my wife, my dogs, and my Kanile'a. What else would I need?

I feel the same way. I have my dad's old archtop Kay from the 50's and it just feels wierd. It's so big and bulky and the strings are so close together. It's also not as easy to fly up and down the fretboard and do half the techniques you can do on the uke.

I played guitar for 20 years. Picked up a ukulele and liked it. Then very quickly thought, "Finally!"
    "A few chords strummed on a ukulele, enough to please a few others beside yourself, does more good in this world than the combined efforts of all the financiers and politicians that ever lived."

My YouTube channel.
    Mya-Moe Port Orford Cedar/Maple Concert
    MP Custom Zebrawood Pineapple Longneck Soprano

I've got 2 really nice acoustic guitars, a Yamaha and a Dean and they're both collecting dust. I may end up selling them to feed my UAS.
    Chiun: It would be better for you to eat this can than what is inside of it. Why must everything in this country be coated with monositi-... monosoti...
    Remo Williams: Monosodium glutamate. You can't even say it.
    Chiun: I can say "rat droppings." That does not mean I want to eat them.

Well I was never one for rock n' roll or chord\tabs on guitar. it always just seemed to be too much work.

I have become a classical guitarist fover the last 4 years, and love it, it's a very personal and satisfying journey for me.

However I always felt handicapped by not playing any popular music, but now with the UKE it's my chance to explore that part of music, chords, songs etc... and to sing.

So my plan is to continue to study classical guitar seriously, and use a lot of the technique with the uke, but play more contemporary music although I also plan to do some serious pieces including the famous Bach Cello prelude which I already do on guitar and is available in John King's book of classical Uke.

The way I see it it is the best of both worlds and a great way to "cross train" between the two instruments.

Hippie Dribble Guest

I came at it from the opposite direction...guitar player for 20 years before I discovered the uke, now I rarely pick up the 6 string. I find the uke is the most beautiful instrument in the world, and by far the one that is most sympathetic to the singing voice. Would have sold off my two guitars long before now, were they not gifts from my parents and have a lot of sentimental value to me...

GOt one in the corner, played it for a month and then decided it ought to just collect dust...no connection at all to playing it for me

I started with ukulele and moved to guitar, but, I have played both since the 1960s which officially makes me a fossil.

Here is my observation: Some tunes are better played on a guitar and some are better of ukulele. I have written a lot of songs specifically for guitar and some specifically for ukulele, but, it is all a matter of where the creativity flows. I don't limit myself. So, I play a lot of different instruments...

guitar, ukulele, bass, mandolin, tiple, bow psaltery, renaissance flute, pennywhistle, keyboard, bongos, bodhran, harmonica, tenor guitar. It's all about the right tool for the job.
    Ukulele Player is Still ONLINE.... you can find it here:

https://archive.org/details/issue30_201712
    (Ukulele Player Magazine)
    Ukulele Player Magazine STORE...
    http://www.zazzle.com/ukeplayermagazine

Thread Information